Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
cyclops

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by cyclops »

Dan Krisher: "In the YouTube video I shot on Version 1.20, I'm using an 8GB Geek Squad usb flash drive from Best Buy. I could never get this to work prior to 1.20. Now it's fine. And it has the U3 software embedded on it also."

Great news, looks like I have to try my SanDisk Cruzer Titaniun U3 4GB.

Edit: done, working great and really fast. :-)
keysme

Post by keysme »

My 4GB Lexar Lightning Drive now works flawlessly as well, saving ALL data including Samples!! :) The Lexar Lightning drives are very fast too.
Nik_

Post by Nik_ »

I wonder if it now works with an USB connected hard drive? I've got a 120Gig USB drive hanging around looking for a home...
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Can anybody tell me about approximate speed differences bewteen USB sticks? How big are they in real Fantom G use (I don't ask for theoretical values)?
keysme

Post by keysme »

Can anybody tell me about approximate speed differences bewteen USB sticks? How big are they in real Fantom G use
Flash Drives vary quite a bit in their transfer rates i.e. some are slower some are faster depending on the model you get.

The bottleneck is the access speed of a given Drive. The Fantom G has USB 2.0 which has a speed of up to 480Mb/s (60M"Bytes"/s) transfer rate. A faster Flash Drive can better utilize the Fantom G's USB 2.0 spec. If the Fantom G only had USB 1.1 a faster flash drive would not be so necessary. But since the G has USB 2.0 a faster flash drive would be ideal because the Fantom G can now access (read the contents of the Drive) and also "write" to the Drive faster, so having a fast Flash Drive is better suited when working with the Fantom G USB 2.0 environment. Which, ultimately, will help to increase efficiency, speed, and give you a better work flow in the process. :)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

MEMORY FULL ERROR

After my initial excitement at being able to save projects/songs again on my 20GB drive and being successful, the error is back again... :(

Strange...
Doug Crazy

Post by Doug Crazy »

Did you get the 20gib sorted out (and if you did ...did you find the reason why the G all of a sudden started giving error messages again)?
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

keysme, I know what usb 2 means. I was more after concrete comparison values in practical use.
How much difference does it make when loading let's say 500 Mb of samples in a project?
jessej

Post by jessej »

How about seek times? If you have 1200 drum samples you are loading compared to one big long audiofile that is as many Mb total.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Guys, you drive me nuts ;-)

I just want to see some example comparative experience values between two cards, no matter if it's 100Mb with 120 files or whatever. Has anyone of you ever done a conrete comparison, using two flash cards with identical content on the same Fantom G.

I ask so, because technical specifications alone have rarely proved to be true use values...

If my question still seems unclear, I will ask the Secret Roland Agent to come by with a picture for those who can't read. :-)

Now if that ain't a threat...
calebfoster

Post by calebfoster »

Quinnx, when you get the "Memory Full" message are you using midi that you created on a computer? I've gotten the "Memory Full" message also, but only when tweaking something I created on the computer first. I tried saving, got the message, tried saving again, got the message, gave up to restart where I last saved from the computer and POOF it was gone out of my SONG list where it was previously saved. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if that's part of the "Memory Full" message cause.
calebfoster

Post by calebfoster »

weird, eyeball mentions earlier that the sony 2gb microvault works for him but i have still yet to get mine to work. oh well, i had a 1gb memorex traveldrive that was working but just upgraded to a working 16gb pny attache usb drive! now i just need to find a pc133 dimm lying around here somewhere...
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Changed the Thread title so we could add information about knowed 1 GB RAM DIMM sticks (or over) that work with the G.
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

MemoryTen 1Gb Sample RAM working here.
Product description from MemoryTen:
1Gb 168-pin PC133 CL3 non-Registered non-ECC SDRAM DIMM

Price 70$ plus shipping (November 2008).
cgiles

Post by cgiles »

As I posted in the other thread, this 1 Gb RAM works just fine in my G7 under v1.20.

Item title: 1GB 168-pin PC133 non-ECC SDRAM DIMM
Web address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0180693381
Item number: 320180693381
Buyer User ID: cgilesxxx
Seller User ID: www.memoryx.com

Your total is:
$69.98 per item
$1.50 insurance (optional)
$0.00 Sales discounts (-) or charges (+)
$5.98 shipping/handling**

chas