Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
n3oz

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by n3oz »

Sony Microvault USM-LX Click Excellence 4gb
Very Very Fast
http://www.sony.net/Products/Media/Microvault/products/...
gospelone

Post by gospelone »

So what is the coinclusion of the matter....buy exactly what Roland suggests or spend your time and money trying different ones to you find one that works?

Seriously does anyone have a conclusive suggestion on one single drive that works all the time? This memory full nonsense irks me to no end

Do the Roland drives work flawlessly?

Its really troubling when I load a song and a phrase or two are missing and simply not there any longer reverted back to init phrase

So I noticed what happens is when I save a song and get the memory full message I go back to the phrase list and notice some phrases are unsaved that were not previously unsaved, then I have to go in and save each of the unsaved phrases

Most of the time when I do this, I am able to save the song w/o gettting the memory full message but what a hassle!

But what an even bigger hassle to have to rebuild and rework phrases
Dorkas

Post by Dorkas »

16 GB SanDisk USB Stick : works absolutely fine.
Aftershock

Post by Aftershock »

Can somebody post up the link for the 1gb ram for the g6. Thanks
Coldmiser

Post by Coldmiser »

http://www.oempcworld.com/OEMPCworld-co ... PC133.html

Product reviews even state that it works properly in the Fantom-G
Luconia

Post by Luconia »

so i've been looking around for 1G DIMM RAM on ebay, wow the prices are steep though, not incl shipping!
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=roland ... m270.l1313
and i have no guarantee that these will work on my FG unit later since i'm a bit skeptical on the description.

even the 512MB i managed to find locally is not as cheap as i though
(our currency rate sucks, i even bought the FG6 at a hefty price almost RM11k ordered via the local music shop!)
http://www.lelong.com.my/512mb-kvr133x6 ... Sale-P.htm

so i really need some recommendations from you guys, to jump on the unknown brand 1G/512MB from ebay or just go with the 512MB Kingston?

thanks in advance
tika78

Post by tika78 »

The most important thing should be no more than 2gb,and must be formatted in fat format,but not fat32,and it will not work correctly!!!
Luconia

Post by Luconia »

not sure if you're replying to my post...but i'm refering to the DIMM RAM memory..not usb stick.

as for usb stick i used 8GB capacity without a problem
burydudexxx

Post by burydudexxx »

I took a chance and bought this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270800853503? ... 1439.l2649

It works a treat - no blue screen - no problems - just plenty of sampling heaven and it's soooooooooo cheap

For those that haven't - do :-)
Luconia

Post by Luconia »

burydudexxx wrote:I took a chance and bought this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270800853503? ... 1439.l2649

It works a treat - no blue screen - no problems - just plenty of sampling heaven and it's soooooooooo cheap

For those that haven't - do :-)
wow i should bookmark that, but the listing has ended
Luconia

Post by Luconia »

Screw it!
So i just bite the bullet & bought this
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1439.l2649

Yes it's pretty steep when it comes to this type of RAM...but then again i think it's becomes uncommon nowadays to find it at a local shop where the capacity is 1GB.
Just hope that the ram is compatible when it arrives...
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

I bought this 1GB RAM DIMM for $45 from eBay seller Keystron in South Carolina. The memory works fine. It was shipped quickly and in an anti-static pouch.

BTW, I attempted to buy a RAM module from oempcworld.com several months ago. That experience was miserable. I suggest that oempcworld.com be avoided.
StEv0

Post by StEv0 »

USB -

Just bought an HP 8gb USB stick and it loads my current Project in 1min 31secs.
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Dri ... lash-Drive

My original Integral 4GB USB stick loads the project slighly faster at 1min 28secs but it's starting to have read/write errors.

Other than that, the HP works fine so far and had no issues.

Cheers

Stevo
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Hi,
I recently bought a second hand Fantom G6. The keyboard is good and I like it. However I did not know about the incompatibilities with USB memory which in my opinion are absolutely frustrating and unacceptable.
I tried a 4GB one (no brand, it was a merchandising one) and it had issues (memory full, read/write problems,...).
I was looking for a Kingston 1GB like the official Roland but I could not find it. Fortunately it ocurred to me to try a 8GB Apple iPod that I got a few years ago which I was not using at all, and... surprisingly it worked perfectly well. Now I am using this device as pure USB memory.

Though it works well, I still think this uncertainy is a huge problem for a workstation which best part is its sequencer and of course the ability to create and RECORD songs. If you have problems recording your songs (MIDI and samples) the workstation keyboard becomes completely useless.

Additionally, I upgraded from a Juno-G which I loved to the fantom G becasue I was afraid I could have screen problems in the Juno-G (that are very common) and because I wanted a better sequencer. Well, the fantom is better overall but the USB incompatibilities are almost deal breaking. At least the JunoG had a fantastic PC Flash card that worked perfectly, the write/read function was very good and intuitive as all the OS functions, and the features were similar to the fantom for a third of the price.

Conclusion: I think I will not buy any more Roland workstations if I can avoid it because I think they are not reliable. The problem is the rest of the manufacturers seem not to be interested in implementing enough features and especially sound tracks in the sequencer... is that such an unique feature today in a workstation ?... I don't want to use DAW and computers for creating a song, the process becomes much slower IMHO.
grace25

Post by grace25 »

Sjnieboon wrote:I've bought an Imation 8GB and it works very well! The Fantom recognizes 7,7GB. This is the drive I'm talking about:

Notice that the black part of the drive goes into the USB drive, so you only see the silver part out of your Fantom.
That usb is pretty affordable too! If I may ask you, If i decide to buy that usb, do I need ram as well or will the usb thumbdrive be enough? Mine is OS 1.50.