Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
jessej

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by jessej »

I like those Kingston DataTravelers! They come at least in 4Gb, 8Gb and 16Gb flavors here at the supermarket. The 4Gb is 9.99€, the 8Gb is 14.95€ and the 16Gb is 29.95€.

How much did you pay for your 32Gb DT100, denvermorgan2000?
denvermorgan2000

Post by denvermorgan2000 »

I paid 799 norsk kroner for it thats about 90 euros
or 129.00 dollars
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Since it works properly with the Fantom-G, I'll consider it for a future buy.
I found out that here in Greece the 32GB version costs about 78~80 Euros.
karel

Post by karel »

Hi all,

skip from USB drives to RAMs, I've purchased and installed this one:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12046...

it works with no problem till now.
Rieg

Post by Rieg »

USB Memory tip.

If you are affraid of breaking the "big" memory stick pointing outwards from the G's back. Here is a way to avoid it.

Buy a micro SD card and a USB adapter for it. I have tried a Sandisk 4 GB Micro SD card without any problems (see the attached picture). I have two projects on it and they loads and save perfectly.

Rieg
Iano C

Post by Iano C »

EmtecProduct4GB C250 USB stick PartnumberEKMMD4GC250
Tested and working.
canadave

Post by canadave »

Sorry, I tried reading through this thread to find the answer, and maybe I missed it if it was here, but...do external USB hard drives work successfully with the Fantom G? Or is it "flash drives only"?
canadave

Post by canadave »

sorry, double post.
thextreme1

Post by thextreme1 »

I havent gotten an external harddrive to work yet. I am using a 16GB SD Card and USB adapter though and that works fine. I would love to get a 10,000 RPM external harddrive working for speed though(for larger projects).

I'll say something to Dan and see if it cant be brought up to be incorporated in the next OS upgrade. There is really no reason not to support them and I am sure that there are some out there that work. It is just too time consuming to keep searching, when I could be using that time to write more music. :)
canadave

Post by canadave »

Thanks for the answer :) Yes, 10,000 rpm would be great!
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

[quote=Karel] Hi all,

skip from USB drives to RAMs, I've purchased and installed this one:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12046...

it works with no problem till now. [/quote]

Thx for the tip - works here and is (due to the Euro/$) very cheap.
canadave

Post by canadave »

Well, this is odd!

keysme said his 8GB Patriot Xporter XT 200X worked, so I went out and bought the same drive. But when I put it into the fantom and start it up, then go to the System menu and try to format the USB, an error window comes up saying "USB Memory Not Ready!" Huh??

On a positive note, I can confirm that the 4GB mimobot Series 1 "StormTrooper" Star Wars USB drive works (with samples), and the Sony Micro Vault Click 16GB USB drive also appears to work (I haven't tested it with samples though).

Strange about that Xporter though. KEYSME, can you confirm--what physical shape is your drive? Is it like an oval, or is it a pure rectangle? There seem to have been a couple of different "flavours" of Patriot Xporter XT.....
keysme

Post by keysme »

Hi Dave,

This is the Patriot drive I have:

I got the same error as you did when I first tried to format my Patriot 8GB XT 200X USB drive on my Fantom G. What you need to do (what I did) is format the Patriot drive on a computer first and then it should be good to go to use on your Fantom G Dave. Once you format it on a computer I would also recommend that you then format it again on the Fantom G as well, and then go ahead and start using it as you normally would. It should work fine after that.
canadave

Post by canadave »

Wow..... :0

Thanks very much keysme....yep, that's the exact same one I have. You're not going to believe this, but I already tried formatting it on a computer too! :0

Hmmmm. I formatted it on my Mac Pro, using FAT format first, then Mac format when the FAT format didn't work. NO format I try on my Mac Pro works--every time I put the drive back into my Fantom, I get the same "memory not ready" error.

Can I ask a couple of followup questions?

1. Do you put your Patriot drive straight into the Fantom, or do you use the short extension cord? Does that make a difference? I tried putting it straight into the Fantom but it's just a little too bulky to get a tight fit--I think?

2. How exactly did you format your Patriot? Are you on a PC? What OS? What format did you use?

It's crazy, because mine is EXACTLY the same as yours, but can't seem to get it working :(
canadave

Post by canadave »

OK.....an update. I got it VERY PARTIALLY working :) But not enough.

I went into Windows XP on my Mac, via Boot Camp, and tried formatting the Patriot in Windows as FAT (there was no option for NTFS). It only gave me the option to format it up to 200MB. I did so.

Then I took the Patriot to the Fantom, went into System, and formatted the Patriot there--which finally worked, and did not give me an error this time. But then when I went to the Info screen on the Fantom, it showed the USB capacity as being "200MB". Not good :(

Why do I have this bad feeling that you're going to tell me you formatted it in NTFS on Windows XP? :)

Also, can you verify that at the end of your process, your Fantom-formatted Patriot has its capacity listed as 8GB, not 200MB?