Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
keysme

Re: Which USB drives/ 1GB RAM DIMMs work with the Fantom G?

Post by keysme »

It's good to see 1GB RAM from memoryx is working with the FG. I think I'll wait a while and see what OEMPCworld.com will offer. The memoryx stick is CAS 3 and I would rather get a CAS 2 stick if possible. Not sure if OEMPCworld.com will offer CAS 2 RAM, and if not, then I will base my final decision on price comparisons. OTOH, I would like to give OEMPCworld.com my business because Roland is specifically using them to help Fantom G owners out. If the price is in the same ballpark as memoryx's RAM (and especially if it is also CAS 2 RAM) I will gladly go with OEMPCworld.com instead of memoryx.com It will also hopefully be helping Roland out too since they are probably getting a stipend from each stick sold. :) Besides, I don't want to see Roland go belly up any time soon either. :D

Dan.. you didn't dupe anybody! :) I believe you when you say Roland is working hard on getting things sorted out with the RAM as quick as possible. Although, could the same be said of Roland regarding OS 1.20?? :| Five months was a long time before we saw the light of day with the latest (and much appreciated I might add) OS 1.20 update. ;)

Does Roland Japan now take BOTH Saturday and Sunday off or do they indeed still work a six day work week?? :| Were there possibly extended Japanese holidays during the last 5 or so months that could have gotten them behind schedule? >> I'm just trying to get an idea as to why it took ssssooooooooooooooooo long to get 1.20 out the door.

I guess the most likely scenario was possibly they were having a hard time getting everything to function properly and to be fully compatible and work seamlessly (without any glitches) or bugs affecting normal operation. Which, I realize, can definitely be a challenge when working in any type of software environment. :)

Looking forward to hopefully getting a 1GB RAM stick from OEMPCworld.com when they become available - after all things considered that is. ;) If the price is too steep I will probably go with memoryx.com -= seeing how theirs works with the FG and all too. :) Hopefully the OEMPCworld.com price will be in the ballpark as well. I'd rather try and help them and you (Roland) out if at all possible. :)
G8owner14

Ram and Flash Drive Concerns Still

Post by G8owner14 »

After reading the posts on here I ordered a 512 Mb RAM stick from Ebay, a sepcific seller and auction mentioned in one of the threads. When I install it I get the dreaded blue screen everytime, and a message to check the DIMM. Tried removing and playing with it several times, still not working. Oh no! I assume it is just not compatible, just hard to believe when everyone else had so much luck.

ALSO about the jump/flash/thumb drive. I have bought a 4 Gb Kingston Traveler, already upgraded to OS 1.20, and it will not save samples! I tried a small 10 Mb sample and placed it in a song, then saving it into a project file on the jump drive. I then removed the sample from the G8 memory (32 Mb since my drive won't work), and tried to reload the project. No audio there. Is this what you guys meant earlier when you said it would not save samples? Just wondering.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

G8owner14
I just answered you on your own thread. Please stay on topic on this one please :-)
keysme

Post by keysme »

Sorry to hear your misfortunes with RAM and USB storage drives. :(

The Fantom G can be finicky when it comes to both forms of memory i.e. RAM and Thumb Drives. For RAM you need to make sure each and every RAM specification listed in the Fantom G manual is adhered to when purchasing RAM and my advice is to buy "brand" name memory as opposed to generic memory.

As far as your 4GB USB Kingston Traveler, it is hard to say what it could be but make sure you FORMAT the USB drive on the Fantom G itself first. After you format, then try and save a Project by using "Save AS" and save to your USB drive. Then remove the drive from the Fantom G and insert it into your computer. On the USB drive under the Project 'SMPL' folder you should see the sample(s) you saved in that folder. If there are no Samples there, then either the Project you saved didn't actually contain samples in the first place upon saving it, or there is unfortunately a problem with the USB drive itself needless to say. Again, the Fantom G is finicky and you just have to hope for the best when purchasing a thumb drive. I would think though that a good percentage of different (make & model) USB drives should work with the Fantom G. But your mileage may indeed vary depending on which brand and/or model you choose. The Thumb Drive should NOT contain, or require, any sort of "hub driver". In other words, it must be self powering, powered by the USB port alone. One obvious guide when purchasing is to perhaps get one of those drives that others here have attested that their brand (make and model) does indeed work with the FG. :)

Oh, if there ARE samples in the SMPL folder that were saved, then they should load back into the Fantom G no problem. Either Auto Load (insert USB drive into Fantom G then boot up the Fantom G) or Manual Load (Fantom G is already ON then simply insert the USB drive into the Fantom G USB port and load project manually from Menu/Project/Load Project.

Let us know if you make progress and/or of the outcome.
keysme

Post by keysme »

Oops! Sorry V-CeeOh. You can transfer my previous message to G8owner's thread if you like and delete this message too in the process. ;) Either way, it's up to you.
calebfoster

Post by calebfoster »

dan, have you officially announced a working 1gig memory module for fantom g yet? i don't really want to guess and check on any more ram.
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

[Pasted from Dan Krisher post on his own thread]

1GB RAM Available At OEMPCWorld
It's official that OEMPCWorld has the 1GB RAM in stock and they are taking orders. The RAM Is US $89.85.

http://www.oempcworld.com/sampler/Roland.htm

http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/mer ... 1.0G-PC133
mhilly

Post by mhilly »

I purchased a Verbatim 4Gb USB pen drive yesterday, formatted in on the Fantom, tried to save a project, and receved the 'memory full' message. I already had a couple of projects loaded on another drive, so I tried copying the content of the old drive to the new via PC. I've not fully tested it yet, but songs and samples seem to be saving OK - so this may be something to try...
CarlosCoimbra

Post by CarlosCoimbra »

Your USB flash drive can have some problems ,other people have sucessull with there USB drives !

www.MakeMusicNews.com
Rieg

Memory Ten 1 GB does not work on my G6

Post by Rieg »

JimKnopf wrote:

MemoryTen 1Gb Sample RAM working here.
Product description from MemoryTen:
1Gb 168-pin PC133 CL3 non-Registered non-ECC SDRAM DIMM
Price 70$ plus shipping (November 2008).

I just got mine, replaced my 512MB samle Ram which already was installed and got:

Roland Fantom G
Power off and check DIMM.

Yes, I am running version 1.20 in Fantom G.
I did, took out the memory out and put it in again several times, same result. Has somebody actually tested the 1 GB sample memory from Memory ten? Hmm what can I do now? I would liked to know if it's has a failure or the Memory Ten's is problem memories.

Rieg
branko

Post by branko »

Loading Project speed is the same with any USB Flash that I use.
Testing results:
1.Kingston DataTraveler100 1GB read speed 12MB/Sec
2.Kingmax U3 2GB read speed 20MB/sec
3.Kingmax 4GB read speed 19MB/sec
All of these 3 Usb Flashes have different read speed.But loadnig Project speed is always the same.
My Project size is 230 Mb and loading speed is always 4 min and 8 seconds.
It is very big deference between these 3 Flashes when I use them on my PC.
What about SD RAM?Is there any faster RAM Modules with the same parameters PCI133 CL2/3?Is there any deference between Corsair and Kingston or some other manufacturers?I have Kingston ram module.
tashi

external memory

Post by tashi »

external hard drives of 50 gbs or better will they work?
tashi

1 gb stick

Post by tashi »

just bought new g8 and they are giving away a mouse and 1gb stick
Jimknopf

Post by Jimknopf »

Rieg,

here I stumbled over an alternative officially sold for the G. Since it is 30 days money back guarantee, you run no risk checking it:

http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/CHF/Synt ... atalog=yes

A bit more expensive, but perhaps this solves your problem...
Sjnieboon

Post by Sjnieboon »

I've bought an Imation 8GB and it works very well! The Fantom recognizes 7,7GB. This is the drive I'm talking about:

Notice that the black part of the drive goes into the USB drive, so you only see the silver part out of your Fantom.