distorted sounds !

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
mateus

distorted sounds !

Post by mateus »

Hello all...

I have big problem with G6. I need advice. when I run G6 so completely in random time will start to play all sounds distorted. That happens in any mode, and completely at random.
tzoid

Re: distorted sounds !

Post by tzoid »

Is the distortion also audible through headphones connected to the headphone jack? (Eliminate any other possible sources of error)

Tried a factory reset?

If you answered ''yes' to both quiestions, contact your local Roland service center.

What sort of distortion are we talking about?
aftertouch

Post by aftertouch »

I've had the same problem. But when i upgraded with the new software, i haven't faced the problem since.
mateus

Post by mateus »

thnx to all...:) I have 1.10 system and distorted sound is same from headphones and outputs 1-4 too :(. I will try contact my Roland service center...
tzoid

Post by tzoid »

When you have your board fixed, ask them if they can upgrade to version 2.0 as well. The upgrade kit is difficult to get hold of nowadays, but the service-center may have one for their own use. And you don't need the kit after the upgrade. It won't hurt to ask.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

tzoid, wake up, you're in the Fantom-G forum, not Fantom-X ;-)
fredmotif

Post by fredmotif »

Hi !

I have the same problem with my G6 :-( the sound crashes sometimes at random too. One of my friend said it's probably caused by RAM (same problem on the KORG TRITON), I used KINGSTOM 512 Mo RAM but I'm not sure that the problem came from RAM. I hope Roland will find quickly a solution, I must reboot my G6 everytime I have this genreal distortion sound (monitors and headphones).

Sorry for my english :-)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

fredmotif, try to remove the RAM and see how it works without it.
fredmotif

Post by fredmotif »

Thanks Artemiy, I think i'll try to remove the RAM this week end but I think I had this problem before I installed the RAM in my FANTOM G6.
keysme

Post by keysme »

It shouldn't have anything to do with the RAM in my humble opinion. It sounds to me that it might be the way you are routing your outputs. Are you outputing to a Mixer then to Speakers?? Or directly to Speakers from FG outputs?? Also, Main Outputs A (MIX) outputs the whole signal, while Outputs B do not output everything from what I understand. Although what outputs you are using shouldn't be the cause of the distortion but what you are hooking them into e.g. Amp, then to Mixer, then to speakers, or directly to Speakers, etc. could, depending how your outboard gear i.e. (Mixer, Patch Cables, Amp, etc.) are setup. Did you check your Audio Cables to make sure they are okay? You don't have a Mic on with the volume up when it happens do you?? :0 Are you routing the signal to a Sound Module and/or to a Computer too perhaps? If you are using MIDI Output and Input on the Fantom G make sure it is setup correctly on the Fantom G and on your external gear. Does this happen only when you play the keys or does it happen when you play an SMF, Audio, or Phrase too? You don't have anything connected to the INPUTS on the Fantom G with the Input Level knob turned way up do you?? Have you tried resetting the Controllers by pressing the Shift then Single Mode button? Did you happen to increase the Output Gain signal in the System Menu/Sound tab? Increasing it too much can affect the output signal significantly, causing distortion. Hope this helps. And that you get it figured out and fixed soon. ;)

PS: It sounds like it's something that you aren't doing right i.e. some setting(s) that are set incorrectly on the Fantom G or on your external gear etc., or possibly the way the signal is routed, or how your patch cables are patched together and/or what they're patched to. Or possibly something in the System Menu not set correctly, etc.. But I really doubt it's a defective Fantom G in my opinion. Of course I could be wrong about that but my gut feeling is that it's not a bad FG but something you did (or didn't do) that has caused it. ;) I'm not trying to blame you or anything like that. I just find it hard to believe that a brand new Fantom G6 just suddenly goes bad. Roland's quality control is better than that in my opinion. And if it's something to do with the OS i.e. a "bug" or something of that nature, then everyone of us who has update 1.10 installed on their Fantom G should be experiencing the same malady. ;) Which we're not thankfully. :) Again, I'm sorry for the unfortunate situation you are having with your FG. If it's truly a defective Fantom G then Roland should take care of you and it should be resolved promptly, no questions asked.
mateus

any changes?

Post by mateus »

Hello Fredmotif...

I sent my G6 to my serviscenter ... do you have any news with your G6?
fredmotif

Post by fredmotif »

Hello !

I haven't any change, it's always the same problem. I think I will contact my roland servicenter too. What your roland servicenter said about your problem ?
mateus

news

Post by mateus »

! - If I play drums line I can repeat this distorted sound. With this I will send on monday G6 to my serviscenter... immediately I send you result from servis center (germany)..
I am so sad with this problem. :(
tasha

My fantom G Distorted too

Post by tasha »

I just sent my Fantom G back to AMS to get a new one. Cause every time
i would make a song with then 30mins or less it would distort. So i had to hurry up to make a song before it would distort, and i mean distort all over the Fantom everywhere. I called Roland and they said they did not have any issues on that about the fantom so i said i was not the only one
who has that same issue just go on Roland Clan, and read what others has
said about the distortion in the fantom G. They always down talk there customer's like there could be nothing at all wrong there there products.
So i said i'm also a owner of the Motif XS and when i had a problem with
there board i was treated every nice by them like they was proud that
i had bought there keyboard. But you people at Roland get mad when a buyer who spends $2600 on your product ask a question like why i can't
use any USB disk no matter the size to work right with the Fantom G.
Or why i can't pick which sample or how many audio tracks i wont, so on, and so... But i will see if it was a broken Fantom G or not when the new one gets here.
tasha

Post by tasha »

It was the old fantom g cause everything works fine on my new one.