software upgrades (ideas)

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Parsifal

software upgrades (ideas)

Post by Parsifal »

I was wondering if the G and the X can benefit from implementing the long-forgotten Differential Loop Modulation (DLM) from Roland D-70 synth (or better, an improved version of it).... it may not seem much but in a synth every little bit counts... I'm sure every X or G owner would buy it (i would certainly do).
cyclops

Re: software upgrades (ideas)

Post by cyclops »

"Differential Loop Modulation"??? It's the first time I see this term. What did this do anyway?
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

I never had a D-70 so I cannot tell you precisely but I'm sure you can get better info from Roland or various websites. Let me quote:
"DLM (Differential Loop Modulation), a unique, new editing feature can be used to truncate a waveform and process it with loop modulation."
It looks (to me) as an automated function of messing with a PCM sample or parts of it. (either ROM or RAM)

P.S. Let me provide you a link:
http://ringtail.its.monash.edu.au/pub/midi/DOC/D-70
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Basically, they're talking about non-linear readout of sample data, which can result in very interesting sounds indeed. However, maybe the data needs to reside in the memory in a certain special way, I don't know how this was implemented on the D-70.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Differential Loop Modulation, isn't that just a fancy name? Keep in mind, this ROMpler stuff was new and innovative at one point.

Non-linear readout of sampled data!? This is really getting obscure.

You can use any sampled waveform as a tone now. The start and loop points are all editable.

I think you're making it more advanced than it really is.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The thing is no one of us seems to have ever heard the D-70, so we can't tell what benefits that DLM gave. I have limited experience with wavetable synths, namely I have NI MASSIVE, but they have several readout modes and they give some fantastic results. So we should not underestimate the D-70, at least until we hear some examples.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Nothing against the D70. It was made in 1990. Here's some more information.

http://www.retrosynth.com/gear/d70/info.html

DLM is more like an outdated marketing term. It sounds complicated but if you break it down, it's just using a section of a wav, looping it, and, of course, applying modulation.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

dbijoux, you may be right but think of it as an automated function which does all the stuff you mentioned. It's not everyday you can take a wave from ROM memory and "break it down", "using a section of it", "looping it" and "applying modulation to it". A lot of functions here... it may be a hell of a day saver in certain situations when you want something done quick. I'm sure you can use a computer to do these operations but some of us might want to do all the above using only the fantom and intuitive pots and knobs before inspiration runs away while you're staring at loop points.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Maybe it's similar to the E-mu Morpheus. You can set an offset against the start point of the wave in the ROM. If you push it far enough, the wave you selected will finish and the next wave in ROM will sound as part of your Patch.

You can get some pretty whacky results from it. Not all of them useable!

Andy
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

"DLM does not simply loop the specified area of data, but calculates the difference between each point of the data, and creates a loop using data that corresponds to this difference. When the data reaches a certain level, it loops in the opposite direction."

D-70 OM, p.77.

I was wrong!

Andy
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Good idea there! RTFM.

Ok, so it loops the chopped sample in the opposite direction - that sounds kind of interesting, but seems like it could lead to a rather distinct pattern(maybe that's what the A/B mode is for).

@Parsifal - you can do this everyday, today, right now even, all on board. You'll just have to sample the ROM waveform first. Which was pretty much my point, the Fantom has it covered(well almost - see above). No need to stare at loop points; zoom in, turn the knobs and listen.