Possible to make Custom OS (3rd party "firmware"

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Pharlopez

Re: Possible to make Custom OS (3rd party "firmware"

Post by Pharlopez »

There's no need for opening source code, nor to expose any propietary item. I've said this several times ago, and response for people here was like I was a little insane. Give us a non-dangerous instruction set and the capabilities of writing scripts for the sequencer/songs (like CAL in Cakewalk)

Do you want Merge? Scissors? Logical selection of events? etc,etc...in five minutes, you write the script in a PC, give it a name and transfer to the FG. Easy yet powerful feature...wich never will be implemented.

And yes, I'm more than a litlle insane :)
derek_

Post by derek_ »

I don't think script support is insane at all! it would be an incredibly useful feature and one that would greatly increase the appeal of the instrument.

If the object model exposed to the script engine is complete (ie, you can access every feature of the instrument) then that is incredibly powerful.

Even better would be if you could design your UI screens as with the Jazzmutant Lemur...
rbarkhouse

Post by rbarkhouse »

Script support is insane.
nav_

Post by nav_ »

script support is awesome ;)
Pharlopez

Post by Pharlopez »

Maybe a script engine would be hard to implement at this moment, because it was not intended to, but how about a whole screen dedicated to a logical editor? You select midi events based on a composition of rules (time, velocity, length, channel, etc) and then perform a composition of actions over them (move, delete, quantize, etc)

And with the possibility of saving presets, of course.
Anton

Post by Anton »

Just did some tests and loaded the latest Motif XS operating system into the Fantom G. (see attechment)

It worked by doing [deleted by Secret Roland Agent}
jessej

Post by jessej »

Roland will not do open source nor will they implement a script editor... how would they manage to do that when they don't manage updating the most rudimentary things in the default os.. lol. :D

If someone reverse engineers the OS I am happy. The best thing to happen to the MCP1000 was the JJ OS, but it wasn't reverese-engineered, JJ had the OS source since he was a 3rd party developer for Akai before Akai was bought by Akai USA... good luck with opening the OS!!
fislee

Post by fislee »

I Sure would like to know the outcome and possibly how you did it, but its been deleted?? :-(
en76

Post by en76 »

Anton, that seems great but don't that complicate the G since you install a XS stuff in it? sorry but I rather have a XS module than transforming my G to XS motif functions which I think the FG functions is easier to understand and make more sense to me.
unless it has both of them in it and that will be just what some are looking for-" THE MERGESTATION X" and why not, most major companies are merging. :)))
Anton

Post by Anton »

I had the Motif classic before. Soundwise I like the Motif serie better. The terrible Motif OS however is the reason why I didn't buy the Motif XS but the Fantom G.
Try to make a performance on the Motif and then a Live set on the Fantom, then you know the difference........
epu

Re: Possible to make Custom OS (3rd party

Post by epu »

Bump on this. I notice that Akai has their custom "JJ OS" which was written by an AKAI EX engineer for older Akai products.

It would be pretty awesome if something like this were made available for Roland XP and MC X0 and X0X products.