Fantom G Piano Patches Versus Fantom X Piano Patches

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Darth X8

Fantom G Piano Patches Versus Fantom X Piano Patches

Post by Darth X8 »

Don't worry guys, this isn't a Fantom G bashing thread as I've recently got myself a G6 to go with my X8. However, I've now hooked them both together on my Quicklok stand and I've noticed that the X8 piano patches seem to be a lot fuller than those on the Fantom G6. Is that the same for everyone else?

It is all rather academic as I won't be using the G6 for Piano as the X8 is the main piano keyboard...but I noticed the Piano patches on the G (to me) don't sound as full and bright as those on the X8.

This is just my opinion...and I'm not bashing the G in any way...I love it too much!!!!

Darth X8
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom G Piano Patches Versus Fantom X Piano Patches

Post by Artemiy »

My ears actually agree with you, the X grand piano is more bright and "defined", but in the end this depends on the style of music and other sounds you mix the piano with.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Darth X8: The difference lies on the ROM waves used in patches on the two machines.
It seems that the ROM piano waves on the Fantom-G aren't that satisfying like the ones in the Fantom-X.

But this can be fixed, simply use user multisamples, like the Real Grand 2.0, made by Boricua Roland. Here's the link to download it:
http://rapidshare.com/files/345572481/The_Real_Grand_2....
Darth X8

Post by Darth X8 »

Thanks guys and cheers cyclops...I ought have searched the forum first before posting up this topic as I can now see that this has been discussed already...doh! Silly me! I did have the slight worry in my head that the G6 was faulty...but that has now gone.

Downloading the files now. Cheer dude!
Atlas5

Post by Atlas5 »

I find the Fantom X piano patches to be full sounding and an excellent choice when recording solo.

I find the Fantom G piano patches to punch through and I perfer them when playing live with guitars.
johnc

Post by johnc »

i love the g and have also had an x as well. to be honest..... the piano sounds on both are total crap...............
Darth X8

Post by Darth X8 »

Atlas5, yes I thought that the G piano sounds were that bit more punchy as in heavy on the mid-range so yeah can see your point!

johnc, yes I would imagine one would need to go for something more 'dedicated' to the Piano then the Fantom series. However, for my useage the Fantom X Piano patches are just fine! But nowhere near as good as my tutor's Technics Stage Piano...however, I think there is (or was) a £4000 price difference between the two!

Darth X8
johnc

Post by johnc »

well you dont need to spend that much 8) pianoteq is truly excellent as long as you have a computer with a fast cpu ( ram is irrelevant ) or if you can find a second hand gem rpx module which is what i use and is absolutely astonishing and compares very well to the pianoteq. yep some of the g piano sounds are fine in a mix. but for solo work..........forget it :( anything technics make is totally roasted in any sense of realism compared to the two i have mentioned as they involve physical modelling and are not just romplers like the technics and roland x and g. i would imagine the v piano also sounds amazing but so is its price.
Darth X8

Post by Darth X8 »

Yeah you're right, you don't have to spend that much, but my tutor's work demands that he has that sort of gear...and blimey...it sounds better then the real thing that he has in the corner of his studio!!!!! LOL!!

Broke the news to him today that I got a Fantom G6...he's a real Yamaha (he worked for them for years) and Technics fan. His response was "oh" haha! He's been really onto to me to get a Motif XS 6 but I told him that there was just too many bloody buttons on the thing!!!!
thiagotgc

Post by thiagotgc »

Please, Reupe the project!!
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

yes, does anyone have this or one similar to share?
thiagotgc

Post by thiagotgc »

booyakasha12 wrote:yes, does anyone have this or one similar to share?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/fantomg/