Memory Full Error

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
roryn1

Memory Full Error

Post by roryn1 »

Hello, I am having trouble saving my samples to my Roland Fantom G6, I installed 512 mb of ram and its recognizing there is over 90% free space, my usb memory stick is inserted and it recognizes that there is lots of space free, but for some reason it is trying to save my samples to that 50 mb of internal space that cannot be upgraded? Please help, I've had to resort to using a separate recorder to record my samples through a line and then transfer them to my computer which is a pain and it degrades the quality. Here are some pictures
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175 ... G_0920.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175 ... G_0921.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175 ... G_0922.jpg

Why aren't they saving to the other memory are they not supposed to? I assumed that was the reason I bought ram. Is this a software problem? I've tried contacting roland about it twice and they don't even send me a reply, they've answered other questions i've had in a matter of days.

Thanks
jur451c

Re: Memory Full Error

Post by jur451c »

I think you need to create a project on the USB drive before you start sampling.
Then the samples 'know' to use the usb drive instead of the internal memory.
Hope this helps.
roryn1

Post by roryn1 »

that worked awesome thank you so much
roryn1

Post by roryn1 »

but then why does Ed Diaz and Roland tell you to get a Dimm Ram Expansion if it doesn't even use it?
Flumpster

Post by Flumpster »

The Dimm is used to store the samples when the machine is on and the samples are loaded. The moment you turn off the G that ram is wiped just like a computer does. This is not Flash ram.

So basically you was working in the internal project which as you know only has a limited amount of storage space and not enough for the sample (dimm) ram to store to. When you make your project on the USB stick then the ram has plenty of room to save to (as long as the pen stick is bigger than the ram size obviously)

Without ram update : 30 meg(ish) of samples you can use and store internally or to USB.
With 512 ram : 540 meg(ish) of samples can be used but must be saved to USB as not enough internal flash memory.
jur451c

Post by jur451c »

What Flumpster said : )
mikeyb333

Post by mikeyb333 »

I'm a longtime fantom X8 user, just got a Fantom G8 and have run into a slightly different problem with the "memory full" message. I inserted a USB flash drive, formatted it, then did a "create project" from the menu screen. Before it would finish creating a new project, it gives me the memory full message. This is on a 2 gigabyte usb memory stick, it's telling me that the memory is full even though there was nothing on the memory stick to begin with, and it was freshly formatted. Anybody have any ideas on this? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

As a side question, does anybody know what is the largest capacity usb memory stick or other storage device the Fantom G will recognize and work with?

Thanks
Mike
Quinnx.

Re: Memory Full Error (Saving to USB)

Post by Quinnx. »

Cause:
This appears to be a USB cable conflict issue.
I have had this problem several times when trying to save to USB.
Usualy I have the computer on and the Fantom G is connected via USB.
For some reason the Fantom USB bus is hijacked by the driver and causes the problem.

Solution:
When you get MEMORY FULL when trying to save to USB,
Open Device manager/Sound video game controlers
right click on FantomG and choose Disable (or just unplug the usb cable)
Try save to USB once more and it should work with no error.

I have done this several times successfully :)
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

Flumpster wrote:The Dimm is used to store the samples when the machine is on and the samples are loaded. The moment you turn off the G that ram is wiped just like a computer does. This is not Flash ram.

So basically you was working in the internal project which as you know only has a limited amount of storage space and not enough for the sample (dimm) ram to store to. When you make your project on the USB stick then the ram has plenty of room to save to (as long as the pen stick is bigger than the ram size obviously)

Without ram update : 30 meg(ish) of samples you can use and store internally or to USB.
With 512 ram : 540 meg(ish) of samples can be used but must be saved to USB as not enough internal flash memory.
So what this means, is that if one wants to use own samples that are like size 0f 500megs, an usb stick is always needed, because the 512dimm is only for "working storage" when power on and you need the stick that has the actual samples and the project?

Didnt get this until now :)
viperwolf

Post by viperwolf »

instead of starting a new thread ill just bring this one back up. I have a 1gb ram and Sony USB
I tested the Sony by saving samples on it and it worked. I was also able to transfer the wav file to the computer.
Everything is under a created project and I can see the USB used space.
Now the problem im getting.

Im trying to record a guitar in studio/song and it will stop recording around block 45/around 2 mins in. I can see the ram being used also, so i know its working. Can anyone help me with this?
i have plenty of ram and usb storage.

Im wondering if the USB is not compatible, even though its recording samples, saving songs and projects. This is my first attempt to fully record an entire song
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Make sure you dont have END SW enabled when you press Record button
viperwolf

Post by viperwolf »

Quinnx. wrote:Make sure you dont have END SW enabled when you press Record button
I use that function all the time when recording, but even when off it will stop recording. What i ended up doing was letting it record a blank space for 5 mins. Then deleted the blank and went from there. that worked. Im not sure what setting i have that stopped it, or why it stopped. Its not the USB, i bought a Kingston and tried it with the same results. I cannot remember what i did exactly, but i think i recorded a blank internal sound for 5 mins.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

save project
create new project
do factory default restore and test see if that cures it..
that way you know its not hardware if it works..
take if from there.
viperwolf

Post by viperwolf »

Quinnx. wrote:save project
create new project
do factory default restore and test see if that cures it..
that way you know its not hardware if it works..
take if from there.
Im going to do what you said. I recorded a 5 min song with 8 patches,external bass guitar,elect guitar, and vocals + Vdrums. Like i said earlier, i had to hit record as a regular internal patch for about 6mins. then delete it and everything was fine. I updated to 1.5 not to long ago, if i do a factory restore will it restore 1.5?
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

No, the factory reset will not roll back the software update. That will stay at 1.5

Steve V