Problems with broken LCD screen -- Help/Advice appreciated!

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
HowIDoozIt

Problems with broken LCD screen -- Help/Advice appreciated!

Post by HowIDoozIt »

Hi guys.

About two years ago, I purchased a brand new Roland Fantom G6 workstation from Guitar Center. Not long after, I was struggling financially, so I decided to sell it on eBay for $1500. Was only used about three times, so I thought the buyer got the deal of a lifetime, right? Here's where it got rocky...

About 2 weeks after I shipped it out to Hawaii from Wisconsin, I came home to a package at my front door. It was my same keyboard, only it was shipped back in a different box, and the screen was smashed in pretty bad. The buyer said that I sent him damaged equipment (even though I had taken pictures prior before I shipped everything). He even kept the stand that I included, but sent me back the board... On top of all that, he charged back the money, so I was out $1500, after already struggling to keep up with bills.

The debate was if FedEx dropped the package in the shipping process (which I tried disputing, and they basically told me they could do nothing about it), or there really are just people that cold-hearted to do something like that with zero gain.

Well, since it's been awhile back on my feet, I wanted to potentially get it repaired, so it can be of great use in my new home studio. The screen is smashed pretty bad in the bottom right corner, resulting in no display. What I have also noticed is that all the knobs, keys, sliders, pads, etc (EVERYTHING) still functions and works as if normal. There isn't any problem with the sound quality, either. The only problem is that there is no display, and the screen would definitely need to be replaced.

I contacted Guitar Center not too long after it originally happened, and they basically told me even though I payed +$300 for this useless warranty, it couldn't help me in my situation.

If anyone knows what I could do to get it fixed and how much it may cost, it would be so appreciated! Hopefully there is some light still. :/
Quinnx.

Re: Problems with broken LCD screen -- Help/Advice appreciat

Post by Quinnx. »

sounds pretty bad..
Your problem was two fold ...
what should have happened if it was genuine was he should have contacted you and fedex and have it investigated at source.. the fact that he then shipped it back to you left you without a claim becuase you where now the receiver and it was shipped in that condition.
also i wounder..
are you sure it was the same G that you got back?
As far as the lcd goes.. you should be able to purchase a generic one on the internet.
[
This! is probably what your looking for

If you want and exact match you will probably need to get the part number of the old lcd and trace it that way.
HowIDoozIt

Post by HowIDoozIt »

@Quinnx, thank you for the quick reply. There is a possibility that this guy just gave me his that was already damaged, just to get a new one. I guess it's better that the controls still work than nothing. I have one concern, do you know where I could look at getting the lcd replaced once I order it, because I'm not quite sure how to do that, and I would hate to mess up the board for good. All help is appreciated.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Should`nt be too difficult.. most everything clicks together
here are some pics viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36960#p233186
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

In the short term you can use the editor on the pc to setup and control the fantom.

I had seen replacement fg screens on eBay a while back and most work can be undertaken with basic tools unless you are totally mechanically inept..
HowIDoozIt

Post by HowIDoozIt »

Mystic38 wrote:In the short term you can use the editor on the pc to setup and control the fantom.

I had seen replacement fg screens on eBay a while back and most work can be undertaken with basic tools unless you are totally mechanically inept..
I called Roland, and they said they want $507 for the LCD part... Is it possible to buy a cheaper, more generic LCD screen to replace it with? I don't think I can budge that right now just for the screen.
HowIDoozIt

Post by HowIDoozIt »

Does anyone know a good place to buy an alternatively cheaper LCD for my Fantom?
Kentoby

Post by Kentoby »

Yes I replaced mine myself. I have the manufacturer and model of the screen at home and found that u should be able to pick one up for about $100.
Glenn Boyce

Post by Glenn Boyce »

I need a new screen too. i have a white line across my screen that appeared the other day and won't go away. i have assumed it is the screen starting to deteriorate. I'd like details of where to get a replacement. I live in New Zealand so nead someone that can send it by air.
caldo

Post by caldo »

Where can we get the new screens? And, if it's possible to replace myself?