Fantom G controlling DAW transports??

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Kentoby

Fantom G controlling DAW transports??

Post by Kentoby »

Hello,

I'm running Presonus Studio one V2 as my DAW and I cannot get my Fantom G to act as a controller for the transport functions. I can play the virtual instruments through the keys and pads but I can't configure the transport to work. Is it possible to do so or am I asking a bit to much?

Thanks KT
rolandchamp

Re: Fantom G controlling DAW transports??

Post by rolandchamp »

absolutely should be working flawless. On Fantom setup just make sure your in master, and outputting MTC on the midi output. Then of course, studio one must be set to receive that and act as slave to mtc.
Kentoby

Post by Kentoby »

Thanks rolandchamp, still no luck, if you could share a bit more deetail, I'm not seeing those exact function in my Fantom G and I've tried many setting configurations in Presonus Studio One as well.

Thanks,

Oh, one more thing, I'm using the USB Audio Streaming function in the Fantom and I get an audio loop when I activate the MIX IN button and play an internal patch on a Studio one track. Any ideas there as well? Thanks... KT!!
justing2007

Post by justing2007 »

make sure you have midi transmit turned on. push pad mode, hit pad 10, push pad settings button, then pad 1. This just turns on midi transmit. The best thing i can tell you to do is call roland customer service Mike is awesome!
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

for part 2, turn local control off... you are playing the sound in the fantom, the also sending the midi note to your DAW, back again and playing it..so you have a midi loop..

for daw transport control, personally i never ever had the fantom do this reliably and imo its really a lot easier to use a separate midi controller.. a free iphone/ipad app, android app, or nanokontrol or similar..
Kentoby wrote:Thanks rolandchamp, still no luck, if you could share a bit more deetail, I'm not seeing those exact function in my Fantom G and I've tried many setting configurations in Presonus Studio One as well.

Thanks,

Oh, one more thing, I'm using the USB Audio Streaming function in the Fantom and I get an audio loop when I activate the MIX IN button and play an internal patch on a Studio one track. Any ideas there as well? Thanks... KT!!
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

One little idea for DAW control could be to record the commands for you DAWs transport controls as sysex phrases on the Fantom G and setup a RPS bank. Apparently some have done this and it works fine. I did a similar thing recording buttons sys ex from my JP-8000 into the G so I could control it remotely. Works like a charm.

I think the reason it's a pain with the Transport controls on the FG is that they are meant for use with the FGs sequencer, so they don't have an external mode, so you have to use MIDI sync to slave you sequencer to the FG. Not ideal.

another idea is that if you own an iPad or iPhone there are several free apps for DAW control surfaces. I use V-Control with logic. It's fantastic. MUCH better than my dorky Korg NanoKontrol.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Another simple idea is just to assign your keys or media keys on your pc keyboard
or use a 2nd qwerty keyboard on your pc.