NAMM 2013 Rumours - new Roland Workstation?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Devnor

Re: NAMM 2013 Rumours - new Roland Workstation?

Post by Devnor »

More negativity from Quinnx. Everything you post is like a wet blanket. Try to lighten up.

A new fantom would certainly not replace my Jupiter unless they gave it 2 live sets, 2 solo sets and 256 poly. SN implementation in the new "workstation" just won't be that deep. But what it does give me is sampling and more than likely flash-RAM. My feeling is the fantom gets SRX waves too.

My real hope is Roland continues to abandon the workstation concept and release the Jupiter II. Add more SN instruments, sampling & flash ram to that platform. I really don't need any more half baked sequencers.
kday

Post by kday »

Sequencers are free, people should just stop worrying about them.

A Half baked sequencer is still more useful than no sequencer. A lot of people really use those half baked onboard sequencers that come with synthesizers.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

More negativity from Quinnx.
Wheres the negativity?

I clearly stating facts
and the fact is, roland have never released anything that replaces current tech
even the G dint completely replace the X which is why I and many still have both.

Oh!
and on the POSATIVE! side... :-D
The fantom G + my current DAW setup nagates any future need for another workstation ever.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

There is maintained here a certain dogmatic narrow-mindedness about workstations that has pretty much stopped me participating on this board, but tbh, if you do not like the concept of a workstation,or don't need a sequencer in a 'board go post elsewhere than in the Fantom G forum.

And no, i dont need a workstation in my studio, but its handy to rapidly capture something and once i leave the building i will categorically state that a workstation with even a half baked sequencer is better than no sequencer..
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Wow mystic, our loss indeed! Glad to see I bought you out from your rock. I don't buy the old argument "its better than no sequencer". That certainly hasn't been the narrative around here in regards to the FG sequencer for many years.

Give me a great sequencer and I would use it. Looking at current products from other companies, nothing out there really shines on the music creation side of things. These things don't handle external gear as eloquently as Logic's enviroment allows. Why would I want to edit on a 7" screen when I could be it doing on a 27" LCD. If I mix my synth tracks to audio, my project isn't compatible with anything else other than an identical "workstation". Anyways far as hardware and I'm concerned, it's all about the sounds, man.

Get used to me being in workstation forums. I'll be one of the first to order my new Roland "workstation". I need a new 88 key controller anyways :p
kday

Post by kday »

Workstation sequencers aren't meant to compete with computer sequencers. If a person is looking for a great sequencer buy an MPC or computer and be done with worrying about sequencing. Looking into some synthesizer to supply your professional sequencing needs will only allow a person to get frustrated with themselves. Workstation sequencers have always left much to be desired. That's the way synth companies want it to be. If you think these synth companies are gonna create your dream synth to where you no longer need to buy another synth or even one of their next upgrade models, then you're fooling yourself. Do not get into lobbying to subtract ANY feature of the workstation concept, just because you don't find it useful to you personally, those features already onboard may be highly useful to many other people. A person that desiring a workstation concept be cut down to nearly a basic synth, should just express that the basic that's considered better should just add a few more features instead, in a forum where they may be listening for new ideas to add to basic synths.

I don't care how shoddy a feature is that was added to the workstation keyboard, I ask that they improve it, but never ever eliminate it unless it became totally obsolete. And the only thing that's become totally obsolete in a keyboard is the floppy disk.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I dont say future workstation are no longer usefull
I just repeat what he said.. it will never be the all in one solution..
But who knows maybe roland or someone will produce something special that knocks the idea of even needing a computer.
but computers a so powerfull now that even that is a pipe dream.
I will simply predict what i said regarding a new roland workstation and thats all i will do..
so far my prediction have held.
but hey! if your in the market for a new workstaition do what ever floats your boat.
The integra on the other hand is a nice idea its a pitty they released it as a closed box when it comes to pc intergration.
On the comment of narrow mindedness about workstations.. Please explain..?
are you pointing to comments that people expect or want it to be an all in one solution
or that the other half see it as not usefull at all?
I dont subscibe to either..
after all the G IS a workstation its potential from what I see goes untapped by the masses who abandon it for the latest and greatest never truely mastery the craft.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Funny, prior to release of the Jupiter, "workstations were dead". Nobody really wanted to sequence on M3 and F-G had so many perceived bugs. I always thought FG had a nice sequencer. Lots of nice things were said about F-X seq but I didnt enjoy using it. Out comes Kronos with seq and Jupiter w/o, suddenly these things were super important once again.

Just so we're clear, I think the Fantom G is a sexy beast.

Logic is such a mature product. File portability, big screen, key commands and it handles my external midi modules in a way that makes sense. How could any workstation compare?
Rick4001

Post by Rick4001 »

For me, the workstation is invaluable and inspirational for getting parts recorded, and then I move everything over to Sonar or Logic for editing and tweaking. In my most recent work, all within the G's sequencer, I recorded my basic midi parts, recorded scratch vocal and guitar audio tracks for reference, changed the tempo of the song to be faster (and all of the audio parts adjusted their tempo along with the midi) and then temporarily slowed the tempo down to record some hard midi parts (and all of the reference audio tracks followed the tempo change). Then I exported everything to Sonar for editing. No other workstation can do all of this. Kronos has audio tracks, but can't stretch on the fly to match tempo changes. A computer sequencer can certainly do all of this, but the workflow and inspiration of having only the keyboard in front of me, having a vast array of sounds to instantly scroll through, and not having to deal with drivers and interfaces, is invaluable.
rbarkhouse

Post by rbarkhouse »

I heard a rumor... that there are absolutely no rumors.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Rick4001 wrote:For me, the workstation is invaluable and inspirational for getting parts recorded, and then I move everything over to Sonar or Logic for editing and tweaking. In my most recent work, all within the G's sequencer, I recorded my basic midi parts, recorded scratch vocal and guitar audio tracks for reference, changed the tempo of the song to be faster (and all of the audio parts adjusted their tempo along with the midi) and then temporarily slowed the tempo down to record some hard midi parts (and all of the reference audio tracks followed the tempo change). Then I exported everything to Sonar for editing. No other workstation can do all of this. Kronos has audio tracks, but can't stretch on the fly to match tempo changes. A computer sequencer can certainly do all of this, but the workflow and inspiration of having only the keyboard in front of me, having a vast array of sounds to instantly scroll through, and not having to deal with drivers and interfaces, is invaluable.
+1
jur451c

Post by jur451c »

Everytime this debates starts someone pipes up with 'My Fantom along with my DAW does everything far better than a built in sequencer, drop the sequencer from the workstation'. That argument is great and valid IN THE STUDIO but some of us use our Keyboards *gasp* LIVE *gasp*! 'Surely not' I hear you cry, 'why would anyone want to do that when the studio is so much more comfortable?'.
For some of us the whole point of making music is to interact with other musicians. For me, music is very much like sex - so much more fun when I'm not on my own! I use phrases fired from the sequencer a lot in a live set, and the sequencer on a workstation is also really handy when in a rehearsal and someone says 'how about a drum n bass loop there?' and you need to make it there and then.
I am sure that the big keyboard manufacturers have this more in mind when designing their workstations, I don't think any designer seriously expects a workstation sequencer to be used extensively in a studio environment. In fact I suspect that the assumption is that most studio musicians will be using soft synths and controllers in the the studio, I know i do!
I strongly believe that hardware synths and workstations are primarily made for live musicians nowadays, and I for one am looking forward with excitement to whatever Roland have got up their sleeve!
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

I totally agree with the above post. The live aspect was the major reason for purchasing the Fantom G6 for me. I needed something that would be great live and also function well in the studio with a DAW. I too look forward to a revision of the Fantom, but I am not waiting for it. For my needs the Fantom G (or the Kronos if I were to change) are the main options.
blytzz

Post by blytzz »

I bought the Korg kronos 2 years ago and quickly canceled my order after hearing the Jupiter 80, I owned a triton ex88 and sold it thinking software would be better but i soon realized how much of a pain in the @$$ it is to interface with a computer while playing, it sucks the life out of music. So Ive been patiently waiting after selling the triton for Roland to release the Jupiter with 88 weighted keys, instead they release a rack?! Seriously, a rack...has all the features Id like...except no nice roland weighted key action and once again its a pain to use even with the ipad inteface which is severely limited in functionality. Just release your latest sounds with weighted keys and a sequencer and watch it fly off the shelves, ill order one the first day, money is already in hand and waiting to be spent.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Personally I think there is definately a market for a Fantom with the integra engine with all the features we have in FG. Sort out the file system and a few of the mistakes from the G and it would fly out of the stores. I too think the JP-80 sounds better than Kronos. The Roland build quality is better too. But the G had the range of features I needed so I haven't bought a JP80. I too was all software for live and agree it was a pain. The G actually soudns a lot better than people give It credit for.