NAMM 2013 Rumours - new Roland Workstation?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
cello

NAMM 2013 Rumours - new Roland Workstation?

Post by cello »

Not quite sure where to post this so mods please move if there's somewhere better!

So, there seems to be an acceptance that Yamaha will launch a new workstation at Winter NAMM 2013.

What about Roland - new workstation coming? Hope so! :)
jur451c

Re: NAMM 2013 Rumours - new Roland Workstation?

Post by jur451c »

Oh goody, I've been looking forward to this thread, let's see how long it takes someone to rain on Roland's parade or talk about how shit Roland's customer service is.
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

I think Roland will give it a try with a 'Jupiter 20' ... or an Astra-5 module !

Further they will concentrate on add-ons and extra's (don't know if they mean also a pc editor sw with this). But it is a good laugh -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... OV_gXf_rgY

Grtz
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

did they ever release the piano bench for our FG's? if not, that needs to come first.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

cello wrote:Not quite sure where to post this so mods please move if there's somewhere better!

So, there seems to be an acceptance that Yamaha will launch a new workstation at Winter NAMM 2013.

Negative on any new flagship Motif. Maybe an incremental upgrade like Kornus X. I'm still holding out hope for a new Roland workstation.
cello

Post by cello »

Must admit have no inside knowledge about Yamaha - and have no interest in them either way; opinion comes from what I have read online.

I just have a sense that this would be a great time for Roland to get some market share - I think there is a big sector that is not interested in the Kronos (or put off by the well documented issues) and those that want the next Fantom.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Devnor wrote:
cello wrote:Not quite sure where to post this so mods please move if there's somewhere better!

Negative on any new flagship Motif. Maybe an incremental upgrade like Kornus X. I'm still holding out hope for a new Roland workstation.
Kornus X ?? humm is that a new model ? ;-)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Here we go again.....

Anyhow..

Watch out!

Judging by their current line their probably gonna kick yall in the nuts!
You will get a workstation alright.. but it wont have a screen, instead it will have a slot
where you stick an Ipad to give you access to all the workstation frills and be nothing but a dumb keyboard if you only have a PC..

Oh Well....

Long Live the Fantom G
kday

Post by kday »

Roland will release a new Accordion this Namm, also new bass and guitar processors, they will also show the new rackmount synth Integra 7 they just released. They will also release new Boss recorders 8Trk and 4Trk models. Their main flagship synth will be the Jupiter 50 and the Integra 7. Roland failed to stay ahead of the synth bell curve when they rehashed the Fantom X with the G model. So they they went back to the drawing board to attempt to compete with Yamaha and Korg, their next flagship workstation is a do or die situation for Roland, they can't afford to suffer the kind of loss again they had with the Fantom G model. Their next workstation synth has to be a certified hit. So it will be some time before we see Roland's next big thing their next flagship workstation. Maybe next year at Namm 2014.

Roland ran out of ideas in the sound playback department, and they're now forced to compete with multiple synth engines and Flash memory technology..
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

kday wrote:Roland will release a new Accordion this Namm, also new bass and guitar processors, they will also show the new rackmount synth Integra 7 they just released. They will also release new Boss recorders 8Trk and 4Trk models. Their main flagship synth will be the Jupiter 50 and the Integra 7. Roland failed to stay ahead of the synth bell curve when they rehashed the Fantom X with the G model. So they they went back to the drawing board to attempt to compete with Yamaha and Korg, their next flagship workstation is a do or die situation for Roland, they can't afford to suffer the kind of loss again they had with the Fantom G model. Their next workstation synth has to be a certified hit. So it will be some time before we see Roland's next big thing their next flagship workstation. Maybe next year at Namm 2014.

Roland ran out of ideas in the sound playback department, and they're now forced to compete with multiple synth engines and Flash memory technology..
Don't agree with your view.
Roland learned and understood that the future is not the hardware workstations market, due to the incredible development that the computer based Apps have reached.
With JP-80, JP-50 and Integra-7, Roland leads the way to a new era of expressive synths and those 3 are a good example of that, blowing away the competition on innovation, Sound and build quality and expressiveness.

I could be wrong of course, but I think that a new Roland Workstation will not see the light of day, as they are leading on a different way now.

Just MHO
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

its a bit of a contradiction isnt it?

I mean... if they have learned of the the power potential of the pc and supposidly lead the way with the likes of the integra..
well then... where is the pc power house to take advantage of the integra??
seems to me their ignoring the lesson all together ???
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Quinnx. wrote:its a bit of a contradiction isnt it?

I mean... if they have learned of the the power potential of the pc and supposidly lead the way with the likes of the integra..
well then... where is the pc power house to take advantage of the integra??
seems to me their ignoring the lesson all together ???
No, IMO don't think so, don't see any contradiction

Why continue to build complete Keyboard workstations when the DAWs of this world are all a far more complete and sophisticated ? look at Sonar X2 Producer for example (not to mention, Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live, etc) ?

This also applies to Rolands competition, of course, but so far Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil (just to name the top ones) seem to continue producing kind-of workstations even with the more and more limited features that everyone is aware of...
We can see from the latest Yamaha and Korg developments that they are relying a lot on the DAW to complete the picture now. Maybe they are also learning the lesson... ;-)

I agree that, if one only uses solely a keyb Workstation to play and to produce their music from top to bottom without using anything else, they will be fine, but if one needs to produce tracks using other gear, that will not be so easy, even worse with those tiny Displays, will be a nightmare without a decent computer interface...why to persist on this if the DAWs are much better?

Well, this is only my view, but I could be completely wrong...
;-)
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

PauloF wrote:Why continue to build complete Keyboard workstations when the DAWs of this world are all a far more complete and sophisticated ? look at Sonar X2 Producer for example (not to mention, Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live, etc) ?;-)
The answer is very simple: because money can be made selling workstations.
Any company will look for opportunities to create revenue and increase profits, and even though the FG may not have been the success Roland envisioned it to be, the sales of KORG's KRONOS show that there still is a lot of demand for a good workstation.
And I'm sure that Roland like any other company is aware of that.
Not releasing a workstation would mean that Roland lets opportunities slip by, while giving the competition the opportunity to increase its marketshare and gobble up revenue which could have been Roland's, if only...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Jan_nl wrote:
PauloF wrote:Why continue to build complete Keyboard workstations when the DAWs of this world are all a far more complete and sophisticated ? look at Sonar X2 Producer for example (not to mention, Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live, etc) ?;-)
The answer is very simple: because money can be made selling workstations.
Any company will look for opportunities to create revenue and increase profits, and even though the FG may not have been the success Roland envisioned it to be, the sales of KORG's KRONOS show that there still is a lot of demand for a good workstation.
And I'm sure that Roland like any other company is aware of that.
Not releasing a workstation would mean that Roland lets opportunities slip by, while giving the competition the opportunity to increase its marketshare and gobble up revenue which could have been Roland's, if only...
Agree that the bottom line is the money they make (or not) selling these workstations, but you have to agree that even the most complete one is far from perfect when it comes to Sequencing, Sampling or any other common DAW features found on computer Apps, as at the end they are Synths with some DAW functions, and not Full Workstations in that sense.

As I said... I can be totally wrong,
The time will tell us what will be the next "fashion", more and more powerful synths or the all-in-one "ultimate workstation".
FxProject

Post by FxProject »

Roland Will make à new workstation keyboard with the integra synth engine and all the sounds of the integra and the sounds of synth legend with séquencer and audio recording