Memory Issue

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
ernie_johnson1

Memory Issue

Post by ernie_johnson1 »

I just purchased 1GB of memory for my Roland Fantom G8. The reason that I did this is that my son wanted to do longer samples and he would run out of memory. I have installed the memory and it shows that it is installed, however, when my son tries to record a new sample he gets a "Sample Memory Full" error. We have reset the machine to factory defaults both with and without the new memory and have also sent back the first memory card in exchange for a new one in case it was bad. We still get the same memory error message. So when my son tries to record an external mix with his guitar, he cannot record anything. Suggestions?
tranztek

Re: Memory Issue

Post by tranztek »

Did the amount of ram actually show up when you pressed the sampling button?
geeman

Post by geeman »

ernie_johnson1 wrote:I just purchased 1GB of memory for my Roland Fantom G8. The reason that I did this is that my son wanted to do longer samples and he would run out of memory. I have installed the memory and it shows that it is installed, however, when my son tries to record a new sample he gets a "Sample Memory Full" error. We have reset the machine to factory defaults both with and without the new memory and have also sent back the first memory card in exchange for a new one in case it was bad. We still get the same memory error message. So when my son tries to record an external mix with his guitar, he cannot record anything. Suggestions?
Hi there,

Following on from what tranztek says, maybe you could start with a clean slate by deleting the entire list of internal samples that comes with the Fantom G: which just includes song demo vocal hits and demonstration vocals. You can reload those inbuilt samples later if needed by doing a factory reset.

With your Fantom G's sample list now emptied, and with your 1 GB ram upgrade properly installed, when you press G's Sample button, you should see at the top left of screen: 1024MB free.

What happens at this point when you start recording guitar?

cheers
ernie_johnson1

Post by ernie_johnson1 »

The RAM shows up. I will delete all the internal samples tonight and then test the guitar.

Thanks
ernie_johnson1

Post by ernie_johnson1 »

Still the same problem. No way to make a sample with the guitar as external input.

Other thoughts?

Ernie
geeman

Post by geeman »

ernie_johnson1 wrote:Still the same problem. No way to make a sample with the guitar as external input.

Other thoughts?

Ernie
Hi Ernie,

Still learning the ropes on my own G6, but from perusing old Fantom G forums posts and looking at YouTube vids, this might be the Number One frequently-raised issue :-) How about this one (among many):

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36852

cheers
tranztek

Post by tranztek »

Where did you get the ram from and are you sure that it is fantom G compatible? What USB stick are you using for your project?