help with piano multisampling advice

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
booyakasha12

help with piano multisampling advice

Post by booyakasha12 »

Anyone have any good tips for recording piano samples to use in "multisample edit" mode? Seems like whenever I try to record a bunch of notes(piano, strings), the samples sound great, but once I go into edit and create the patch, they sound dull(not talking eq, but more unrealistic, unnatural). I'm usually recording usb audio in(not sure if that matters), recording samples, going into an initialized mutli-patch and messing around with the release, etc. Still not real sounding as what I am hearing sampling in..
I have tried recording C range, C and F range, keeping filters off, extending release, but it never sounds the same or as real. Any suggestions?
Quinnx.

Re: help with piano multisampling advice

Post by Quinnx. »

Not really sure what your saying...
But..
when sampling you have to take in to account that you are capturing a static image of the sound which will never change no mater how many times you play it.
unlike the real world every time you play will always be different..
Once you capture the sound you will then have to concentrate on the patch dynamics to create a sense movement on the sample so it dont sound so static. things like
adding rev chorus filter and env and then linking all this to velocity should help
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Does applying PreEmphasis help?
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

ah.. didn't think about preemphasis. I'll give that a shot.
I realize without sampling each dynamic the multisample patch won't sound as realistic as the actual sound.
I have just heard other people's acoustic piano multisamples and merely thought I was doing something wrong as mine sounded so badly sampled..