Mixing Internal and External sounds in LIVE MODE

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Skyblade

Mixing Internal and External sounds in LIVE MODE

Post by Skyblade »

Hello to all, the new guy has arrived in town! My name's Marco, I'm from Italy, and I'm a - really pleased - Fantom G6 owner since September. I've always been a "plug 'n play" type of keyboardist, but I've been grown an interest in Virtual Instruments for years, aaaaand... here's the question!
I'm using the Fantom as a soundcard (USB plugged to my laptop), and I'm trying to use internal patches AND vst (for example, an Omnisphere patch) at the same time in LIVE MODE, since there are 16 external channels ready to use. Sadly, I don't have much time to experiment this myself (I'm working and playing gigs with several bands) or to carefully read manuals, so I'm asking for your help. I know that in using external racks (like the INTEGRA 7) you need to look at parameters like MSB/LSB/Program number, but I can't find it in VST patches (I don't even know if they actually exist), so... please, if there's a way, help me T_T I'm goin' to be part of an important musical project, and I'd really want to use VST live.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry if my english is not so good :')
MrSteveVee

Re: Mixing Internal and External sounds in LIVE MODE

Post by MrSteveVee »

Hiya, bit confused on what you are trying to achieve. The Fantom can control external synths using the Msb/Lsb and the vst can control the Fantom from a DAW. But as far as I am aware the two functions cannot be combined. You would control the others synths via the DAW .
Skyblade

Post by Skyblade »

Hi, thanks for your reply =D So, you're saying that there's no way that I can have - let's say - a split with a Roland piano on the right hand and an Omnisphere pad on the left hand? Or it's something I have to set from the DAW and not on the Fantom?
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Don't know how Omnisphere works but assuming it can be triggered by MIDI, the LIVE mode allows 16 external parts to be controlled via MIDI so using the external parts and the Pad mode to switch on/off the MIDI sends you should be able to configure it
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Hey Skyblade,

Yes you can do this. Work out what channel you want Omnisphere to respond on in your DAW (or your daw may just rechannelize anyway). Then in Live Mode or Studio mode, all you need to do is make sure the keyboard part switch is on for the part on the Fantom you want to play (say piano part one) and the MIDI channel you want to send from (say channel 1), then make a range on the Fantom to create the split and it will work. Live mode is the easiest to do this in. Studio Mode can do it as well, but Live Mode has easy access to keyboard part ranges. Doesn't work in Single mode though. It may be easier to you Omnisphere in standalone mode, as you can treat just like a synth module. Not sure if Omnisphere can change patches with MSB/LSB commands, but probably should. Have a look at it's manual.