recording audio and effects

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
flowerkings

recording audio and effects

Post by flowerkings »

I know you can record audio effects in when recording, but if you record say a guitar with no effects can you add effects later without changing other audio tracks, or do you have to resample each track. In other words can each track have it's own effects or do you have to record each one in with effects before hand. I also wondered if the effects in audio will effect the effects in midi mode. (internal)
JunoJohn

Re: recording audio and effects

Post by JunoJohn »

In Studio Mode there are 2 MFX's that must be shared by all 24 Audio Tracks and all 16 Internal Parts.

For example, you record your guitar dry to Audio Track 1 and assign MFX 1 to that Track. You set MFX 1 to Guitar Amp Simulator. Your recorded guitar will now sound with the Guitar Amp Simulator. But, so will anything else routed through MFX 1.

Since you probably don't want multiple Internal Parts or Audio Tracks going through that Guitar Amp Simulator, you will need to use MFX 2, or no effects at all.

Obviously, you can run out of MFX's quickly.

Recording "wet" or resampling later isn't necessary, but it does free up the MFX for some other use.
flowerkings

Post by flowerkings »

I also want to record a vocal on another track how do I separate them on the effects page. Having lets say a guitar on track 1 and two, and vocals on 3 and 4. Where do I set track for different effect. Thanks.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Effects Routing

On the Effects Routing page you can SHIFT + Left Cursor to get to the Audio Track page.

Select your Audio Track on the left side of that page. Choose your routings on the right.

Audio Track Mixer

You can also set routings on the Studio Play/Audio Track Mixer page.

Press F6 (if necessary) to display the Output Assignments. (Look for the row of light blue buttons labeled "A" in the center of the page.) Change the A's to FX1 or FX2 as desired.
flowerkings

Post by flowerkings »

Thank you everything worked good. Now the next question is, I used both master effects, and can I use more effects on the other audio tracks (not sure if their is a way) If you set solo with with effects is that just a way of doing it first instead of setting effects later. Thanks again for your help.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

flowerkings wrote:…If you set solo with with effects is that just a way of doing it first instead of setting effects later?
Yes, exactly!

You can also record/re-sample an existing Audio Track with its current MFX assignment into new Audio Track. That will also free up that MFX for other uses.