Importing Samples Problem "Illegal File"

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Phyzikal

Importing Samples Problem "Illegal File"

Post by Phyzikal »

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to this forum, and I joined to perhaps get some insight into my problem. I have the G6, and i'm attempting to import .wav samples into the machine to use in my projects. I have done as the instructions asked me, and put my samples in the "import folder" in my 16 GB fantom-formatted USB flash drive. I have quite a few files to put into the machine, however, and every time I attempt to import the files into the USB, only about 50 or so sounds are imported into my project, and the rest of the spots are blank, with an "illegal file" message. Now I KNOW these are all .Wav files, so they should have no problems importing. What is the problem? I know each project has a limit of only 2000 samples per project. However, I have like 3,000 files. is there any way to bypass this? I guess I don't understand the process. I get that the fantom G has very minimal internal memory.., so i'd most likely be importing these samples to the USB.. But how is this possible if the files are already technically in the import folder in the USB?

How can I get all my files to import properly? if there's any more information you need from me in order to answer the question correctly, please let me know. I'm anxious to use these awesome samples!

Thanks,

Phyzikal
booyakasha12

Re: Importing Samples Problem "Illegal File"

Post by booyakasha12 »

do you have a usb cable hooked into the fantom after importing?
IF so, unhook the after you have imported the files.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Welcome to the Roland Clan, Phyzikal!

The .wav files need to be 16-bit and 44.1 kHz.

If you are using Mac OS X, look out for those annoying "Apple Double" files. They are the ones that start with ._ and are not audio files even though they end with .wav.
Phyzikal wrote:I know each project has a limit of only 2000 samples per project. However, I have like 3,000 files. is there any way to bypass this?
You will need to use multiple Projects.
Phyzikal wrote:I get that the fantom G has very minimal internal memory…
Definitely install a 512 MB or 1 GB RAM DIMM in your G6.
Phyzikal wrote:…so i'd most likely be importing these samples to the USB.. But how is this possible if the files are already technically in the import folder in the USB?
It's convoluted, here's how it works:

You put the files into the IMPORT folder on your USB drive.

The Fantom imports them into RAM. (You need RAM!)

You save them into your Project on the USB drive. (The contents of RAM are cleared when the Fantom is turned off or when you load another Project.)

(Your Projects should be stored on your USB drive. The internal storage is too small for any significant number of samples.)

Yes, the files you imported from your USB drive end up right back on your USB drive.
Phyzikal

Post by Phyzikal »

Thanks for the insight! I checked my files and all of are to the specifications you mentioned. 16-bit and 44.1 khz. No apple doubles either, in the beginning of the file name. Still, only like 1% of the files actually import. I did exactly as this tutorial video told me to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeP7Xaa ... e=youtu.be

There must be something i'm missing..
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Maybe the files were somehow corrupted. Are you certain that they are good audio files? In other words, can you play them with something else?

Also, make sure your Fantom OS is 1.50 (the latest OS).