Using sequencer to play back in Live mode

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
paulpud

Using sequencer to play back in Live mode

Post by paulpud »

Hi

As a newbie with a newly-acquired Fantom G6 I have dozens of questions I'm trying to find answers to as I read manuals, watch videos and experiment with the keyboard, but I have one fundamental question that I hope someone can answer for me.

In an early experiment I played back one of the factory installed songs but then either found I couldn't switch to Live mode or, if I did, it altered most of the sounds in the song, but I'd like to create a song in the sequencer using a combination of MIDI and audio tracks then play it back in Live mode so that I can have the keyboard split into 2 or 3 sections to play along with it. Can this be done?

Thanks
paulpud

Re: Using sequencer to play back in Live mode

Post by paulpud »

Ok, just watched yet another video which explains using layers and splits in Studio mode so I'm now thinking this may be the way to go. If I understood right, in Studio mode I can assign patches to each of the 16 parts then go into Part View and make many adjustments, including splitting the keyboard. I can then play back my song in the sequencer and play along on the split keyboard.

Am I correct in what I am assuming here, and would this be the best way of going about what I am trying to achieve?
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Welcome to the Roland Clan, Paulpud!

You can make layers and splits in both Live and Studio Modes. Live Mode simply has the advantage of a much nicer interface for doing so.

You can sequence in both modes, too. But it's not possible to switch modes while the sequencer is running. You must first stop it.

Whenever you switch modes, a Live Set or Studio Set is automatically loaded. That set brings different sounds with it, replacing the sounds you had before.
paulpud wrote:Am I correct in what I am assuming here…
Yes.
…and would this be the best way of going about what I am trying to achieve?
That depends on whether you prefer to work in Live Mode or Studio Mode.
paulpud

Post by paulpud »

Hi and thanks!

I've made quite a bit of progress over the weekend working in studio mode and have re-constructed a song I have in Sonar by importing the midi tracks and the audio as samples, and splitting the keyboard into 3 sections with different patches assigned to each which is a big part of what I need to do. I can see that splitting and layering is a little more fiddly without the graphical interface of the Live mode, but I found it fairly straightforward and am quite happy to continue like this, unless I find there is something I need to do which can only be done in Live mode.