Timing issues when sequencing on G7 - thought?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
miktek

Timing issues when sequencing on G7 - thought?

Post by miktek »

Hi, I was doing a song earlier today in studio mode.

4 drum tracks
4 audio tracks
8 internal patch tracks.

On playback I was getting a noticeable skip at different times during the song, almost like a buffering/timing issue. We're only talking about 1/6th of a second, but enough to notice.
Plenty of memory left.
The only things I can think of is polyphony, but I'm nowhere near that, as it's not a complex piece.
Could it be because I have 4 separate drum tracks, when I don't REALLY need to? I just did this for a change, but I'm using a different track (10-13) for kick, snare, hats, tamb.

Thanks
MrSteveVee

Re: Timing issues when sequencing on G7 - thought?

Post by MrSteveVee »

Strange. There was a guy that posted here that he uses multiple tracks for his drums far in excess of what you are using and he did not mention any problem. Does it always happen in the same spot? if so look in the microscope at the midi phrases to see if there are some commands imbedded that you were not aware of

Steve V
miktek

Post by miktek »

Hi Steve. thanks for the reply. I THINK I may have worked it out. It was mostly happening at the same point in the track, so I tried to think if I had done anything differently this time. I had.

Normally, if I am recording an 8 bar section on say track 1, I would record it, let it go over to the 9th bar before stopping, then quantise and delete the 9th bar.
However, this time I tried stopping the recording BEFORE the end of the 8th bar (only ever so slightly) to avoid having to delete the 9th bar with nothing in it.
To the naked eye, it LOOKED like an 8 bar loop, but technically it was a 7 and 14/15ths or thereabouts.
Copying and pasting the 8 bars didn't lead to too many issues the first 3 or 4 'loops' as I'm sure the fantom automatically corrects some of these things, within reason. But I reckon that after the 5th time it was copied, the timing had to either catch up or slow down with the rest of the song, hence the noticeable skip.

Does this sound plausable?
I know the solution is to manually set a start/stop time for each phrase, but I tried recording something similar the other day using my tried and tested 'go over then delete' method, and the timing was rock solid.
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Sound a good theory to me :) I had loads of problems when trying to manualy start stop recordiongs due to my extremely slow reflexes - lol, I now always use a count in to start and set the phrase length so that I never overrun. It may be a bit fiddly to start but saves me a lot a hassl, glad you have it all sorted now

Steve V