A question

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
drummingkeyboardist

A question

Post by drummingkeyboardist »

A question for all current fantom g users...

I have always heard conflicting things about the fantom g...I have heard that the sounds are terrible, compressed.

How are the sounds on the fantom g? For instance, Im looking for a good workstation that has some nice warm atmospheric pads, does the fantom g do those well? Or would it be better for me to get my other choice, a pc3k from kurzweil?

Thanks so much for advice :)
G-Man

Re: A question

Post by G-Man »

Workstations in general have compressed sounds, I doubt this is a Fantom G specific aspect. It has nice sounds, but it's a good idea to learn how to use it more in depth, how to create your own sounds. It's not that hard, the G is quite intuitive - it's user friendly interface being one aspect where it really shines. For quick sound modification, the offset parameters controlled by the faders are great, allowing you to create a pad out of almost any sound.
One downside can be the fact that it doesn't have an individual part EQ. While many of it's FX processors have a Low gain (400 Hz fixed low shelf) and a High gain (2000 Hz fixed high shelf) setting (range: +/-15dB) - you may need more eq control, depending on how many instruments you use from it, how they sound, how they are programmed etc. I use a group eq for all instruments except drum and bass to filter lows, adjust overall low mids etc plus minor adjustments for each sound. Once I do this, it sounds great. Of course, in a typical song, a good separation between kick and bass must be made as well, but for this job a more surgical eq is needed, wich you will find elsewhere, not on the G.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

drummingkeyboardist wrote:…nice warm atmospheric pads, does the fantom g do those well?
"Warm" is not a word I associate with the Fantom-G.

But, as G-Man indicated, you can make it warmer.

Here are three sound demos you might find helpful in assessing the FG's character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNHUsZcwC2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN26hEiS-bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWBI4UnOsw
…Or would it be better for me to get my other choice, a pc3k from kurzweil?
Aren't you considering an FA, as discussed in your other threads?
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I dont find sound a problem with the G. Every aspect of any sound/patch can be edited in every detail that the idea of per channel EQ is a non starter for me. Its not really needed except for convenience.

Over all tonal quality again is determend by how far you want to edit and or route the sound and with sampling/resampling your sound options are practically unlimited.
The G for me is a Future proof piece of gear.
drummingkeyboardist

Post by drummingkeyboardist »

thanks for the help guys..
How are the stock pads? And is the fantom able to do soundscapes?