Help with switching patches live

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
ThisWillDestroyMe

Help with switching patches live

Post by ThisWillDestroyMe »

I play keys in a post-rock band and mostly just switch between a piano patch (Manhattan Grand) and a live layered string set i created. I use the favorites menu to switch between the 2, and some others for live shows. First off, for playing live, is using the favorites menu the best and most ideal way to select patches live? If so, is there anyway to save my string patch as an octave lower? Right now I have to click the patch and then click the octave lower button. This is sometimes difficult to pull off in faster songs. Does anyone know a workaround for this??

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
Leh173

Re: Help with switching patches live

Post by Leh173 »

You should use Live Mode to do this. You can setup 8 way splits and layers and switch between Live Sets with no dropout in sound. You can set up one live set to have your Manhattan Grand setup and then make another one with the layered string set. You can set the patch up to be one octave lower and save it with the Live Set. Then you can use favourites mode to select them, or if they are in memory locations next to each other use the inc/dec buttons to go back and forth between them. A quick way to work on Fantom live is to use live mode and setup Live Sets for each song, so have all the sounds you need in sound saved as live sets one after another and call the Live Sets names for the song: for e.g. "song name 1" "song name 2" "song name 3" and step through them as song goes on. You can even set up a foot pedal to do this.

Check out this workshop booklet for info on how live sets work: http://cms.rolandcorp.com.au/assets/med ... FGWS07.pdf
ThisWillDestroyMe

Post by ThisWillDestroyMe »

Thanks for the response leh173.

I currently do have to live set of strings saved within the favorites. I Attempted to save the live set as an octave lower, but when i select the live set within the favorites, its not an octave lower. Is there a specific way i need to save the live set to save the octave shift within it?
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

You need to set up the octave shift in the live set and save it. Go to F3 Part view and there will be a tab there where tou can transpose the pitch of a part. The octave shift will be saved withe live set. A live set has a while bunch of parameters you can change a patch with, that are saved with the live set, meaning you don't need to alter the original patch in some cases.
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

ThisWillDestroyMe wrote:is using the favorites menu the best and most ideal way to select patches live?
Have a read of the Roland power user workshop booklets:
Workshop-Power user control.pdf
Workshop-Poweruser control-pads.pdf

These discuss favorites, user groups including usage with the pads, hopefully you will find this informative and it should be able to answer this question as it depends how you wish your music workslow to flow. You should should be able to download these plus other workshop manuals from the Roland site

Hope this helps

Steve