Convert and use DX7 SYX patches?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
darquegk

Convert and use DX7 SYX patches?

Post by darquegk »

I'm a Fantom G8 user, and this November I'll be playing for Les Miserables. The sounds for Les Mis still come on a Dx7 floppy disk (actually, eight floppy discs). I have the SYX files for these, but I don't know how to read and convert them to Roland-friendly patches. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?
Synthtron

Re: Convert and use DX7 SYX patches?

Post by Synthtron »

You cannot load DX-7 data into the Fantom.
Macska

Post by Macska »

The Korg Kronos can load the patches, but for a fraction of the price and to keep using your Fantom G in the show you could purchase a Yamaha DX7 for less than $400 and then sample the patches into your G.

OR for totally free, but maybe with a slightly different sound, you could load the files into this VSTi - http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... nthesizer/

and then just sample them into the G or have your G control the VSTi on a laptop.
johnxyz

Post by johnxyz »

Yes, buy a DX7, probably the DX7s (or DX7 2 whatever it was called, I think one of them had a disk drive. Dont think the original did.) Use it then sell it after, and probably not lose any money. Thats the hassle free way to get the exact sounds.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Or, if you trust computers and tablets live, there are software versions of the DX7 that can load it's SysEx.