Fantom G - Recommended Speakers

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
arp70blue

Fantom G - Recommended Speakers

Post by arp70blue »

Hi Guys,

Bit late in the day to join the party but I have just purchased a Fantom G6 second hand and I am very impressed with it having previously played and still in possession of a Fantom X7.

I play guitar through both synths, add effects, record some audio, generally mess about with it and add the resulting audio to midi mixes etc.

I currently have sound output via the phones out socket which goes into an old hi-fi box (amplifier) and then into a pair of Skytec 50W speakers (passive). I notice a buzzing in the left hand side speaker and from researching online it is sugested that the guitar may have blown part of it or at least caused this buzzing (one speaker only) as the speakers needed for a guitar are different to those for a synth or a hi-fi (the original hi-fi speakers went the same way many moons ago hence the need to purchase the Skytecs).

Can I ask what you guys are using for speakers on your setups - powered monitors, an amp into separate speakers, direct out into say a Roland keyboard speaker?

I want stereo monitoring to take advantage of panning etc. so a single keyboard amp is not what I am after unless there are separate stero outs from it etc.

I am looking to spend decent money (say up to £150 GB pounds although less if I can get away with it!) if it is for the right system but I don't want the guitar out to blow the speaker.s

What do you guys use for monitoring / speakers / amplification in this type of situation - have I just been unlucky?

Thank you in advance.

This is my first post on this excellent forum so apologies in advance if this is considered posted in the wrong area.

Kind regards.
Saxifraga

Re: Fantom G - Recommended Speakers

Post by Saxifraga »

Headphones have a different impedanz (german complex resistance, don't know the english term atm) than speaker amplifer inputs. Just buy two active studio monitors with XLR inputs and you are good. I use a cheap pair of Alesis M1Active. If you need more bass, just add a third subwoofer type loudspeaker. There are tons of online resources. Sweetwater, Thoman have good articles for download from their websites, or search and read Sonicstate or SOS websites. Have fun! :)

You may consider Adam F5 or Yamaha HS 8.
arp70blue

Post by arp70blue »

@Saxfiga:
Many thanks for taking the time to come back, I like the XLR input tip as currently the hi-fi amp is just taking a normal phone out cable from the FanG. The sound currently out of the FanG seems a bit bland coupled with the concern that when I put the guitar through it I could blow the speakers.

I will have a look at all your suggestions, websites etc.

Your response is very much appreciated - if anyone else have their own preferred close range monitor setup I would welcome your thoughts also - just keen to know what has been tried and tested and more importantly works and provides a good quality of sound output.

Thank you all.
trommis

Post by trommis »

Sounds great with Sennheiser headphones.. I have both the Roland 2 satelites/sub, and the KRK-6. This goes with (5 other keyboards) in a digital mixer (PreSonus-16), and sounds "thinny". The G-7 via headphones, sounds absoloute great, but I also would need some help here...
arp70blue

Post by arp70blue »

Hi,

Just to follow up my own post and let you know how it panned out (no pun... ).

I bought a set of Presonus Eris E5 speakers and they are excellent compared with using the hi-fi speakers through it's amp - couldn't be happier.

I appreciate that there is plenty of choice out there but these, IMO, are perfect for my requirements (small box room in the house is where my kit is).

I added a set of Superlux HD-662F headphones and the job's complete.

This is obviously my own experience but for people out there looking I would advise that the difference between using the hi-fi and a decent set of speakers on the G is well worth the outlay.

PS: Bought a FA-06 in the last few days and although it has better sounds (SN patches, Axial downloads) I will be putting it back in its box and selling it - the G is just a class act and nothing, IMO, out there touches it.

I almost strayed but well and truly back on the G, until you try something else you do not appreciate sometimes what you actually have in this beast of a machine.

Best wishes.

ARP.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

yupe.. i always maintained the G is the best of the best regardless of what roland has tryed to offer since..
I have even got to the point where.. I dont even use the computer anymore even with all its cores VST`s...
It been over a year now..

Anytime i have ever touch the computer i always get distracted by the technology and production goes down..

The G iS a complete workhorse which once you really dig deep you never come back.... everything else is just a distraction.
There is practically nothing you cannot do with this beast and is, for all time or until it dies.. a future proof piece of kit.
CoppensHans

Post by CoppensHans »

Use Alesis M1 active 520 USB and they are awesome.
Full rich tone with enough bass.