Fantom G source code

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
leone123

Fantom G source code

Post by leone123 »

Hi,

has anybody been able to get the source code from Roland for the Fantom G?

I would be willing to spend time and bring updates if I could have the code, even if it is assembly.

I stop using my FA-06 but I still like a lot my Fantom G7.

I sent an email to Roland UK asking for it and they replied that they have been trying for years to get Roland to release any code but so far they have been not successfull.

thanks

Leo
booyakasha12

Re: Fantom G source code

Post by booyakasha12 »

Funny, after seeing that old product video showing the EQ visualizer, I re-asked roland if they had something else that we could get. Of course they don't. I thought I read on this forum once someone got their hands on the source code, but figure out any of it..
One amazing thing would be if someone figure out how to add sample connectivity to an arx1 card.
Imagine if you could pull in wav files and tweak as well as the alternate ARX drum sounds.
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Yes nice thought but extremely unlikely. If anyone did get a copy then it was undoubtably stolen. Just think of the possibilities if these guys offered a SDK with their boards, now that would be just awsome

Steve V
thiagotgc

Post by thiagotgc »

Isso seria incrível, se eu puder ajudar em algo!
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

I tried to get the fangsnd file description. I just wanted to write a librarian that could handle multisamples and patches referencing them, but Roland said it's confidential. I tried to analyze the fileformat by changing parameters that are multisample related and look what happens in the binaries, but that is very time consuming. So I gave up. Why they don't make it Public Domain is beyond me. I could build a database software that could generate sound libraries from an sql repository by writing fangsnd libraries from scratch, but Roland does not want to help us. Instead they left us with a stupid librarian that does not support multisamples and a halfe backed v1.5 :(
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Nice thought but will never happen as it's proprietary code, Roland has spent a lot of time money and effort on the G's operating system and the ideas and routines are potentially still used or may be used in other keyboards and I very much doubt that Roland wants to publicise these to their competitors. Now as mentioned before, if they provided an SDK that would be awesome, I would be first in the queue

Steve
thiagotgc

Post by thiagotgc »

If it is "impossible", why and how the Creator and Fantom Fantom Yase programs can do this?
leone123

Post by leone123 »

My understanding is that those products act on files that the fantom will read, although I have not used them!
Here we were talking about enhancing the OS code that runs the Fantom instead so that we could add missing features like a decent arpeggiator with more than one instance running independently (karma?)
I gave up now and in absence of a true workstation from Roland I went for a Kronos 2 and boys how far ahead this is compared to Roland!!! I have had lots of products from Roland including the fantom g and the fa-06 but the Kronos beat them badly in terms of features! This is my first Korg and I have to say that I love it; as a guy who loves workstations and does not want to turn on a pc the kronos is a dream machine; ironic it does have a pc inside!
JeffB63

Post by JeffB63 »

Shame that the Kronos takes 2 minutes to boot while my Laptop takes 15 seconds.

2 minutes is a long time to be staring at a keyboard in the middle of a gig!

I got rid of mine without ever daring to use it live.