Editing PFX in Live Mode (and not saving new patches)

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
DalSegno

Editing PFX in Live Mode (and not saving new patches)

Post by DalSegno »

Hi,

There are several references to being able to change internal parts' PFX and save it as part of the live set instead of writing new patches. One such example is the Saving Your Work workshop: http://www.roland.com/support/by_produc ... ments/3003

Where it says:

Single mode—Each patch contains its PFX as well as the global chorus
and reverb. Rhythm sets and sample sets contain their own PFX. MFX 1,
the input effect, and mastering effect are all written as system settings.

Live mode—Each live set contains its sounds’ PFX, as well as the global
chorus and reverb. MFX 1, the input effect, and mastering effect are all
written as system settings.

From what i can see around the internet, in actuality you can't do this and need to save new patches when you modify the PFX. For example, I often like to apply delays, but at different depths and speeds for the same patch depending on the song. Seems a little crazy that I need a new patch for each one!
middle c

Re: Editing PFX in Live Mode (and not saving new patches)

Post by middle c »

I have had the same issue tweaking patches with effects, and other changes in live and studio mode and they do not function the same unless I modify the patch in patch mode, name it something else and then load it in live or studio mode. I have been doing work flow like this with older Roland stuff, keeping them stored on the instrument for future use somewhere else. Fortunately we have plenty of room to save new patches. Didn't solve the problem but you know your not alone in this, however, I will continue to work at this because it will cut time and space in our quest. If you solve it please post.
Leh173

Re: Editing PFX in Live Mode (and not saving new patches)

Post by Leh173 »

One workaround is that the Fantom in Live Mode will remember where you last saved some cc's such as the general purpose ones 80-83, and I seem to remember some other unnamed ones and even Cutoff will be saved at their current positions. So if you program you PFX in your patches so the 4 controllable parameters use these CC numbers, you may be able to save different values as offsets in the Live Set. I just tried it with a phaser on an EP sound and it worked. I'm pretty sure when I was last playing live I used to use this technique all the time. So you could program a patch with PFX say set to delay, then set the delay times to be CC 80 and then save different values for that CC in your Live Set, eliminating the need to resave the patch each time you want to adjust the time value and save it. Hope that makes sense.