Fantom G8 frozen on startup screen

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
88keys93

Fantom G8 frozen on startup screen

Post by 88keys93 »

Hello,

I've had a Roland Fantom G8 for about six years now, and since a month or two ago I get this problem where when I turn it on, it gets frozen on the startup screen. It turns on, and says "Fantom G", and instead of loading information and starting up it just stays there. Every now and then it will start up properly but usually the former is the case.
I was going to call a repair shop and thought maybe someone here had the same problem, and a solution to the problem. I was hoping to save a few bucks if possible but I will take it to a professional if there is no other option.
Thanks in advance.
Synthtron

Re: Fantom G8 frozen on startup screen

Post by Synthtron »

Have you tried a factory reset to see if that does anything?
88keys93

Post by 88keys93 »

Yeah. Nothing :/
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Maybe its a corrupt project or the USB memory stick is playing up. Try booting without the memory stick and/or boot in safe mode as per this article from the Fantom micro book:

Safe boot mode
If the project in internal memory contains corrupt data that prevents Fantom-G from starting up, you can boot it in "safe" mode, during which it will skip loading the last selected project. This feature is also useful when you want to bypass loading the previously loaded project or quickly create a clean project. ‣ While the Fantom-G is powered off, press and hold the EXIT button. ‣ Turn the power switch on.

Steve V
88keys93

Post by 88keys93 »

Synthtron wrote:Have you tried a factory reset to see if that does anything?
Synthtron, I have to apologize. I thought I had tried a factory reset but I confused reset with starting the keyboard in safe mode (what Steve suggested). The keyboard finally came on today after several tries and I looked up factory reset mode and realized I hadn't tried it yet, so I've done that now. Hopefully it works. If it starts acting up again I'll come back to this thread. Thanks for your help Synthtron, and yours as well, Steve.