Roland Fantom G8 Boot problem

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
coerrace

Roland Fantom G8 Boot problem

Post by coerrace »

Hello I have a problem with my Fantom G8. I was on a trip for a year and then returned back and when I tried to turn on again and always is stuck on boot. I just see the Fantom G logo and each 5 seconds appears like a green garbage on screen visible in no more than a second extremely fast disappear, in other words is like trying to boot but never boot is stuck there in an endless loop. I removed the expansion memory I had installed and the same no boot. I tried to hold the button exit after turn on switch and nothing.

I tried to put the bin files directly of the latest firmware like Roland explain in how to upgrade the firmware and I never see a screen of updating or anything I just see the same stuck logo of Fantom G with the green garbage each 5 seconds.

Any suggestion what could be the problem? Or what can I do to enter again to the main menu? I don't know if exist a trick to make a hard reset or factory reset without the need to enter the menu the most of the devices have because if you can't enter the menu to make a factory reset would be impossible. And like I said the memory stick with the firmware never launch an upgrade screen or something.

Thank you
Quinnx.

Re: Roland Fantom G8 Boot problem

Post by Quinnx. »

as soon as you power on.. press PATCH+TEMPO
should get you in to diagnostic mode..

from there you can do factory reset

let me know if that works
coerrace

Post by coerrace »

Not work Patch + Tempo neither. I recorded a mini video that shows the endless loop problem I have:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7in03jatutky ... ailure.MOV

what could be the problem or any other suggestion?

Thank you
TaffmanGuyo

Post by TaffmanGuyo »

Hi I have a Fantom G7 & mine has developed the same sort of problem. Roland didn't want to know as it was out of warranty [I'll not be buying another of theirs!] but they did offer the details of technicians in my area [East Sussex, in the south of England]. Took it to one of them, he couldn't get it to start so couldn't run the diagnostics on it. He thinks it may be EPROM problems on the main board & wanted £650 to replace the main board. The weird thing is it has been showing that problem intermittently for some time, so I used to just leave it on [home use not gigging], but had to switch it off when I was away for a couple of weeks & couldn't restart it. I am so fed up with this, it cost me a lot of money (for me), now I'm retired so don't have much money coming in - I bought it hoping it would outlast me. I hope you have more luck with yours.
coerrace

Post by coerrace »

TaffmanGuyo what a bad history you have. In my case never happened that behavior simply I went for a long time and when I back the keyboard had that problem and until now is not working and what I decided was buy the mainboard directly in Roland almost 700 US but wait time of 6 weeks at least. I decided to buy because I don't want to have an unuseful keyboard abandoned. Here neither in my area there are good technicians and nobody knew what to do and I decided for myself buy the mainboard to avoid waste time and more money. I hope the mainboard is the solution but I'll post here in case the mainboard solve or not the issue. But I need wait 6 weeks at least.

I hope you can solve the issue in a more easy way than change the mainboard in my case is not intermittent the failure simply is a permanent failure, never gave signals of any kind of life simply dead but yours sound an intermittent problem good luck also.
coerrace

Post by coerrace »

The motherboard arrived sooner than I thought. I replaced the mainboard and all is running perfect and pretty. I see comes with the latest firmware 1.5. I just note one thing the 2 demos songs by default are not appearing. The song list is empty for the demo songs but all the rest is working good.
grahamc77

Post by grahamc77 »

the problem is one chip on the mother board..
just had mine fixed although I had to source the chip myself.. see my pics on the other thread