Thinking about getting a G8.

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
Fendson

Thinking about getting a G8.

Post by Fendson »

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a G8 at some point. At the moment I have an M388 (with EXB-Radias and Radias-R), XS Rack, and Integra 7. (might grab a proteus 2000 at some point as they can be found pretty cheap) Having what I have already, would the G8 give me anything? See, I always wanted a G8 but couldn't afford it at the time so I got a B-stock scratch and dent M3 and have been very happy with it since. I no longer use a computer for recording and sequencing. I instead sequence on an MV-8800 and MPC-5000 with the MV synced from the MPC, and record into an Akai DPS24.(Yes, I really like hardware) I would try to find a way to keep the M3 as well, but who knows. Anyway, do I just have Fantom G.A.S?

See, I really like how I could just turn on the Fantom, sequence and record scratch guitars, bass, and vocals while working on an arrangement. I would use the Fantom as a writing station. Getting everything organized and arranged the way I want it, and then after I am satisfied, do the Real recording and sequencing. Though somewhat cumbersome, I can do that now, but I imagine the Fantom would make it so much easier and I would only need to turn it on.

What do you think?

P.S. The Fantom also seems like it would be a great controller if I were to go back to using a computer.
booyakasha12

Re: Thinking about getting a G8.

Post by booyakasha12 »

I went through exactly what you went through last year.
I too, prefer working in hardware, and manipulating with hardware controls.
Anyways, If you are using MV-880, etc, I think the Fantom would be a perfect step up to help.

I ended up getting a used Fantom last Oct, and it is so nice to load up, and just write, I still integrate and use with a computer, but it's easier to compose and get inspiration from the sounds and tools at your fingertips.
Not to mention, there is still something to be said for having things like skipback sampling at your finger tips, or creating your own arps, and or sequencing phrases, and just hitting copy and not having to worry about mousing all the time on a DAW.
I would say you should go for it.
Fendson

Post by Fendson »

booyakasha12 wrote:I went through exactly what you went through last year.
I too, prefer working in hardware, and manipulating with hardware controls.
Anyways, If you are using MV-880, etc, I think the Fantom would be a perfect step up to help.

I ended up getting a used Fantom last Oct, and it is so nice to load up, and just write, I still integrate and use with a computer, but it's easier to compose and get inspiration from the sounds and tools at your fingertips.
Not to mention, there is still something to be said for having things like skipback sampling at your finger tips, or creating your own arps, and or sequencing phrases, and just hitting copy and not having to worry about mousing all the time on a DAW.
I would say you should go for it.
Thank you for the reply booyakasha!
So, what should I be willing to pay for a like new G8?
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

I've seen them used at Guitar Center online and instore from $1499-$1800.
Keep watching.
Fendson

Post by Fendson »

Cool. Thanks!