RE: New Fantom Model Question (help?)

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
monsterjazzlicks

RE: New Fantom Model Question (help?)

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

Hi folks,

I have heard from a couple of people that there is, or will be soon released, a newer version of the FANTOM which has updated sounds and also does not have a sequencer. This latter reason being so because Roland (apparently) assume that (nowadays) keyboardists own a DAW.

But I can not seem to find any information on this. Nor do I know the actual MODEL NAME should such a product exist?

Could someone please kindly confirm if the above is either true or inaccurate?

Many thanks in advance . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)
Quinnx.

Re: RE: New Fantom Model Question (help?)

Post by Quinnx. »

A new fantom? without a sequencer?
Not a fantom.

The Sequencer/DAW RPS is the the most powerfull part of the Fantom especially the G and make it a Power house..
Without a Sequencer you are going to have tether it to a computer which takes away the whole idea of the fantom.

as far as new sounds go.. you can already add new sounds to the Fantom g either by programming or sampling.

It sounds like this thing is going to be another cheap rip off.

I have gone from using my fantom G to using a computer for along time.. and Now im back to using the Fantom G as my sole power house.. Once you crack this thing, its Just an amazing piece of kit..

I have a computer with all the latest software plugins etc.. with a zillion cores etc.. and for months now nearly a year I have not touched it.. im doing everything directly thru the fantom G.

without its sequencer? just couldn’t doo it..
They should have kept the G going and just do either payed updates or release ARX boards that expanded the ability of the G and i dont mean just sound boards

Believe me.. the G is All you Need any thing else is going to be a cheap rip off or not even close just like their previous attempts with the FA series.. Ugh!

LONG LIVE THE FANTOM-G....
monsterjazzlicks

Thank you very much indeed Quinnx,

I appreciate your assistance here.

When you state 'cheap alternative', do you mean a model made by a rival company (eg. Alesis), or a model still made by Roland please?

My friend played me his G6 at the weekend and his BRASS sounds are phenomenal! He also purchased a new board which enables something like 6 x hours sampling time!

Best,

Paul
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Cheap alternative is everything else roland have released since dropping the Fantom G
especially the FA series which falls short of what the fantom g already offers..
the only thing they have that the G does not is built in supernatural

But at the end of the day who care if its super natural or not.. what matters is music and production
and most people are listening to mp3 which does not project any kind of supernatural in its compression.
So yeah.. dont get sucked in to the hype
The Fantom G is what it is.. it cant be reborn when you chop of its legs and arms
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

The Fantom G early models were appearently made in the last months of 2007. It was presented at NAMM in winter 2008 and was ready for shipping in May. Cubase 4 was released in 2008 as far as I can remember, while Cubase 5 - in 2009. It was a period when software DAWs were already way more powerful than any keyboard sequencer and were spread all over the world, so this is not a new issue. However, I think it would be great to see a new Fantom released, without sequencer or sampler, but with ARX expansion. Current G owners can benefit from this, even if a powerful ARX would be quite expensive. I can't remember if all three were discontinued, or just one or two of them. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Roland's next move will be.
monsterjazzlicks

Hi Quinnx,

I played one of the JUNO things once, and thought it was utterly dreadful in every single sense! The FANTOM seemed to be way ahead of it in all respects.

btw - I still have my 'ROLAND XV5050' module with a couple of expansion cards in. I MIDI it up to my 'Nord Stage Classic' for Orchestral sounds and alike.

Ta,

Paul
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

@Gman
I dont see the benefit of another keyboard from roland without a sampler and sequencer.. I mean if you want to go down that road.. you can just get an FA which is essentially that..

the fantom concept is its RPS Sequencer and sampler.. and all its patch, live and performance modes and its loading and saving capabilities which none of the above have.

I mean if people want to waste money just to get something in a new wrapper sure.. go for it.. but so far since the demise of the Fantom G i have not seen anything from roland that even comes close to what the Fantom G has to offer.
monsterjazzlicks

Hello G-Man,

Thanks a lot mate.

I bought Cubase Artist 6 three years ago and yesterday I UPGRADED to Cubase Pro 8.5. It is supposed to have all Win_10 issues ironed out amongst other things. Had to pay a hefty price though (nearly 200 quid for the privilege!).

Ta,

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Quinnx,

What is an "FA" exactly, please?

Cheers,

Paul
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Quinnx. wrote:@Gman
I dont see the benefit of another keyboard from roland without a sampler and sequencer.. I mean if you want to go down that road.. you can just get an FA which is essentially that..

so far since the demise of the Fantom G i have not seen anything from roland that even comes close to what the Fantom G has to offer.
Now you're mean :) the FA does have a sequencer. Well... sort of.

Anyway, the good thing about a new Fantom would be if eventually it would have ARX slots. A good thing for us, the current FG owners. It would mean that we can expect to see some more of those. The theoretical capabilities of a fully expanded G were one of the reasons I bought it. I was a little dissapointed to find out that Roland dropped the plans related to ARX.

Other than that, FG can be a keyboard for a lifetime, as a SoundOnSound article says.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Other than that, FG can be a keyboard for a lifetime, as a SoundOnSound article says.
Agree 100%
What is an "FA" exactly, please?
http://www.rolandus.com/search/?q=fa+6
middle c

Post by middle c »

I'm in Quinnx's corner..................I love my G8 and coffee.
timp410

Post by timp410 »

I agree with Quinn. I was more productive on my Fantom G than I am using Sonar Platinum. I have over 60 plug-ins and have yet to find the time to do anything but audition presets. I also have NI Maschine but since I am not much of a sampler, it has not been of great use to me. The computer DAW is great for recording vocals and live instruments and mastering a finished product. However, my creativity was so much faster with my Fantom so I want to thank you for opening my eyes up. I will be firing up My Fantom for the foreseen future.
Action

Post by Action »

I am having a rough time getting started sequencing on my G8. Coming from the Triton, the Roland is incredibly unintuitive as far as workflow goes. I will be posting up some questions that once answered will hopefully improve the way I am approaching laying tracks on the G8.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

If you want to very quickly get into sequencing on the Fantom G without any effort
check this out..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXINp-b75Mo