Connecting drummachine to the Fantom.

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
BlackMaskAttacks

Connecting drummachine to the Fantom.

Post by BlackMaskAttacks »

The years I have used my Fantom I have only used the internal sounds/stuff on the synth when creating music. I have the ARX drum expansion and I think it´s nice. But I allways think it´s pretty hard to get a nice drum beat. I´m thinking of an external drummachine now.
I have watched clips on the net on drummachines. Roland AIARA TR-8 looks interesting for example.
How do I use these kind of matchines with my Fantom?
Do I just connect with some kind of midi cable between them? Can I record external sounds from like a drummachine direct on the midichannels on the Fantom or do I have to sample them?
middle c

Re: Connecting drummachine to the Fantom.

Post by middle c »

To use drum machine to play Fantom drums, midi out from drum machine to midi in Fantom on channel 10, live mode or studio mode. To play sounds on drum machine reverse the process and use studio external mode. The Fantom v 1.5 has a lot of decent drum patterns you can trigger from the pads, you can sample and tweek existing patterns & sound. You will not be able to record the external drum machine on the Fantom, if you use a DAW record to that via audio or chain midi.
BlackMaskAttacks

Post by BlackMaskAttacks »

How about if I connect another synth to the Fantom? I got a Yamaha CS2X back home with some nice sounds. Can I connect the Yamaha directly to the Fantom and record in to the sequenser?
middle c

Post by middle c »

The Fantom G sequencer is controlled by the keys or pads to record midi, I haven't tried the midi recording from another synth to the Fantom G. You may want to experiment by connecting midi in and out between the two synths turning off the local sound on both and the volume down on the Fantom G and see if the midi passes thru to the Fantom G sequencer, if it works "great" if not you tried.
lazuriz

Post by lazuriz »

You can record midi on the Fantom sequencer and trigger the sounds on the external keyboard.
You can record the external keyboards audio back into the fantom.
You can use a drum machine to record midi into the Fantom sequencer.
There are many ways to setup depending on what it is you want to do.

Ed Diaz does a good job explaining how to connect midi devices to your Fantom. Doesn't matter if it is a keyboard or drum machine.

Midi setup for controlling external instruments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clJ_nRiWSZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqw7G-dU6j8

Sequencing External Instruments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPztzrzuKA

My setup is Fantom G / Motif XF / Boss DR-880 / Korg Triton Rack.
External instruments are midi'ed together in chain and audio out into a mixer. The mixers audio out goes back into the fantom's audio inputs. And the Fantom G audio out to my monitors.
That's my current set up. Sometimes I set it up differently depending on what I am doing. You can even set it up to use your soft synths from your computer.

Steve