Fantom G will not work with Editor

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
viperwolf

Fantom G will not work with Editor

Post by viperwolf »

First time trying to get this to work. Ive read over several post about this, but i must be missing something. I searched for threads , but they are just hard for me to understand I guess.

The problem: I tried using an XP computer and Windows 10 both have the same results. I load the editor and try anything it gives the message Cannot read/write etc.... look at Help page 7 etc.... im sure you gys know what i mean.

I followed the directions the best i can, but i guess im just confused. Ive spent an entire day trying to get this to work. This is my last try here, if you guys cant help me im giving up on this. All im trying to do is add patches from this site. http://fantomg.navarin.de/

This is the directions it gives:

How do I load the files on the Fantom?
The files on this website are Fantom-G Editor (.fge) or Standard Midi Files (.mid). Both can be read and transfered with the Fantom-G Editor software. Make sure to get tha latest version from the Roland website and you have the driver installed.
When everything is set up, connect the Fantom with your computer via USB. Run the Editor and select "File/Import SMF". Select your downloaded patch (no matter which extension) and load them. When loading the patch in the Editor it gets transferred to the Fantom automatically. You can now play and tweak the sound, but it is not saved right now. To finally save it, just press the red WRITE button in the upper right of the Fantom-G's screen and you're done. Please notice, that the sound is only saved for the project, which is currently loaded.
Quinnx.

Re: Fantom G will not work with Editor

Post by Quinnx. »

Make sure that device ID on both the software and fantom G match
viperwolf

Post by viperwolf »

Quinnx. wrote:Make sure that device ID on both the software and fantom G match

What is the ID? Im just trying to use the editor from Roland to transfer the patches. Sorry if i seem ignorant on this.
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Have you loaded the Fantom G Drivers to your PC first as you will get this message if you have not? If you have not, downloaded and installed the drivers then please do this first. Note, the drivers will load fine on windows XP but they will not load on Windows 10 as Roland have not released a windows 10 version. However there is a work around for this. Search this Forum for windows 10 and you will find a link to another site that details instructions on how to install the (if I remember correctly) Fantom Windows 8.1 drivers on Windows 10 by changing one of the installation files in Notepad (Its quite easy to do) If you get stuck give a shout

Now if you have loaded the drivers, power up the Fantom and load up the editor. In the editor go to setup and you see the input/output selections with drop down boxes to select. Use these to select the Fantom G. If you cannot see the Fantom then the drivers are not installed properly or the editor cannot see the Fantom. Next to the input/output selection is an ID box that is set as 17 by default. This is the ID that Quinnx advised. On the Fantom press Menu -> System then press Group down repeatedly until you are on MIDI page. At the top of the page it will state the Device ID. Set this to 17 as well to match the editor (or change the editor to match the Fantom ID if this is your preference)

Say OK on the Editor setup and you should be good to go. If you are still stuck give a shout and we can see if there are anything else we can find to help

Steve V
CoppensHans

Post by CoppensHans »

Why don't you just transfer the files using a USB stick?
Connect external USB with PC and drag en drop files to that location in you windows explorer.
You do not need editor to transfer files from PC to FG.
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Why don't you just transfer the files using a USB stick?
Connect external USB with PC and drag en drop files to that location in you windows explorer.
You do not need editor to transfer files from PC to FG.
This if course is perfectly true but to help the user I think to help we should also mention that for the Fantom to read a Midi file, the Midi file needs to be placed into the SMF folder that resides within a Fantom Project folder on the USB drive E.G nnnnn.prj/SEQ/SMF (where nnnn is your project) and Samples need to be placed into a folder named IMPORT in the root directory of the USB drive. However to use Fantom Editor files type .FGE, unfortunately he will need the editor to do this

Steve V
viperwolf

Post by viperwolf »

Thank you guys so much for this information, Im reading carefully over everything here and will try the suggestions.
viperwolf

Post by viperwolf »

OK just for an update and thank you. I went back on my XP PC and uninstalled everything, then reinstalled the XP driver then the Editor. Turned on the fantom and it did the necessary steps that is was not performing before. After that loading the new patches where very simple, File/Import SMF . Could i just drag the entire list over from PC to USB in the same folder?As suggested by CoppensHans, Instead of selecting one by one? Or does the editor have to do one at a time in order for placements.

One last little thing, is it better to shutdown the PC first then the fantom or vice versa? Thank you very much for helping me with this, I truly appreciate the time and explanation you guy gave. Please dont take it lightly, bc your knowledge and experience helps alot of people.
MrSteveVee

Post by MrSteveVee »

Thanks, no problem, hope it was all helpful. As for the PC/Fantom switch order question, personally I have my PC on all day and only switch off at night so the Fantom is switched on and off with the PC left running, I have not experienced any problems

Steve V