Phantom G8 - Piano setting sounding "Muffled"

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
sevensunnydays

Phantom G8 - Piano setting sounding "Muffled"

Post by sevensunnydays »

Hello there!

I'm currently having trouble getting my Phantom G8 to sound "Lively" or "Not flat". It sounds like an EQ is being applied or that it's "muffled"! I've played other great sounding piano recordings on the speakers and though the headphones and loved the sound, so the issue isn't the computer or the interface. I've also plugged headphones into the piano and heard the same flat almost "tinny" sound that I hear though the monitors, so the problem is isolated to the piano. I've also turned off and on the PFX, MFX1-2, IFX, CHO, REV and MAS effects options to try and improve the sound. No luck. :P

I've tried inside of 001: Ac Piano Set: 1665: Manhattan Grand and others in the PSRT bank, but all sound like a really cheap electric piano. Which is weird! :D The best so far is USER 004: Piano 2

My current guess is that the piano doesn't shine in its acoustic piano presets and is moreso a better electronic/dance sounding piano? This doesn't really make sense but we might sell the G8 and buy a FP7.

TLDR; Can anyone recommend a good acoustic piano sounding piano sound for the fantom G8? Or perhaps a setting we've missed? We've just factory reseted the piano so it should be fresh.

Setup:
Speakers: Yamaha 5" Studio Monitors
Interface: Apogee Duet

Let me know if I can provide any more information that might help!
Thank you SO much in advance. <3
Quinnx.

Re: Phantom G8 - Piano setting sounding "Muffled"

Post by Quinnx. »

One thing to check is make sure master fx is off.. this can effect the overall sound..
I have done this a few times and forgot about it.

NOTE:
Studio sets have their own master FX settings they carry with them
so always check this if you are using other studio sets.
middle c

Re: Phantom G8 - Piano setting sounding "Muffled"

Post by middle c »

The G8 is a complex synth, do you get the same results in single, live play and studio mode with acoustic pianos only? You may need to do a factory reset and v1.5 reload. If so, save what you want to keep. Project etc., to usb or librarian. I had to do this once when learning this awesome complex hard to beat synth. The pianos are very good.