External MIDI --> Fantom G: Tempo displays " - - - "

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
studio460

External MIDI --> Fantom G: Tempo displays " - - - "

Post by studio460 »

I've tried to feed MIDI to the Fantom's five-pin DIN "MIDI-IN" input from another synth's MIDI-OUT into my Fantom G. I've set the MIDI settings on the Fantom to "EXT" but the tempo only displays, " - - - ". What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
synthman

Re: External MIDI --> Fantom G: Tempo displays " - - - "

Post by synthman »

Have you set the fantoms midi receive channel to match that of the other keyboard. That is (for example) set the sending synth to transmit on midi channel 2 and set the fantom to receive on midi channel 2 as well you can if course set the midi channel numbers to anything you want so long as they match
studio460

Post by studio460 »

Awesome! No, I didn't set it up that way. I'll try that when I get home. Thank you for your help!
synthman

Post by synthman »

studio460

Have you sorted your multi issue out. ?
studio460

Post by studio460 »

Thanks for your help! No, I got distracted getting my Fantom's USB connection working. Last night I installed Roland's v1.0.1 driver and everything worked with Apple Logic Pro X, but have since encountered other problems (sometimes I get the Fantom's audio in and out of Logic; sometimes I don't). Also, I just tried controlling my Korg Kronos (the 88's hammer-action is too heavy for synth work) with my Nektar LX25+ MIDI controller via USB with no luck.

Tonight I'm going to try to follow your advice and again attempt to sync my Kong's tempo and arps to my Fantom G, using the Korg as the master MIDI clock. I think I plan to use my Fantom's built-in recorder for a while since I'm having so many issues trying to get my hardware synths and AU libraries to work in Logic with an external MIDI controller. Apple Logic is really, really cool, but so far, software DAWs are just far too too much hassle.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Ok mate. This is why I hate using computers (unless it's a really expensive purpose built one, and that's not all ways guaranteed)
to work 100%) for music. Im all hardware myself. I cant be doing different audio drivers, cpu speeds, ram size and stuff like that.
studio460

Post by studio460 »

:::::sigh::::: Still no luck. Every time I try to set it up (with what seem to be the correct settings on both machines), the Fantom just freezes, requiring a reboot.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Ahh mate that's not good. Im wondering. Do you have the fantoms midi clock set to Ext.?
studio460

Post by studio460 »

Yeah, did that. I will try to post a screenshot of both synths' MIDI settings. The problem always is, of course, while you can find an expert in one synth (e.g., Fantom G), rarely will he/she know much about another manufacturer's synth (e.g., Korg Kronos).

You would think something so simple wouldn't be such a nightmare. I can't even set up my Nectar LX25+ MIDI keyboard to control my Korg Kronos.

Thanks for your help!
studio460

Post by studio460 »

I'm going to save this task for another day . . . perhaps never. I'm going to shelve my Fantom G and put my new Kronos Platinum 88 in its place—will try hooking up audio-over-USB from the Kronos to my new copy of Apple Logic Pro X.

In fact, I may be done with hardware workstations altogether. I just the discovered the existence of Native Instruments' Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2. Its graphical VST-browsing function, "pre-hear" auto-auditioning of sounds, and out-of-the-box compatibility with Logic Pro is too good a thing to dismiss. Along with Komplete 11 Ultimate and some symphonic NKI libraries (all, less than the cost of a brand new FA-08!), I may never buy another hardware synth again . . . ever!