Fantom G design issues

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
synthman

Fantom G design issues

Post by synthman »

Hi all. I'm thinking of puchasing a fantom G6. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but im sure I read somewhere that the G series had suffered from dying screens/displays. Is this correct? If so, how much would it cost to replace it and is it a diy job?

Thanks
darkstar audio

Re: Fantom G design issues

Post by darkstar audio »

I've bought and sold my share of Gs... Not a major problem on the level of older Triton touch displays. If you DID have to do it, its not overly complicated (all accessed through the top half once you clam-shell it, couple of boards in front of it). Syntaur and Keyboard Kountry both have displays in stock.

But I don't think it will be an issue.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Hey thanks for your reply.

I looked on both those site. They don't list the fantom G display only the fantom x.?

Edit looking around the web. It would seem that failing screens are a bit of a common problem with the G's. At least on the gearsluts forum they are!
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

Anyone i know that have had FG including myself never had any issues.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Ok Thanks. I guess it's like any synth of that age, your going to get ones that may have issues and ones that have been trouble free no matter what manufacturer or model. Whilst I'm still saving for one (fantom G6) Im finding the lack of them on the used market is giving me more time to consider other makes. I'm finding that all of them have their faults/bugs, but I guess that's normal. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find a G6, on the used market. The G7/G8 versions are much more common on the used market, and I'm not sure why that is?. I have one question. Im looking for a FG with a synth keyboard not a piano. One. apart from G6 does the G7 also have a synth type key action?. If i can't find a 6 i would consider a G7 if the keyboard has a synth type one?
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

Buy a G7. I learned Piano and I always miss that additional octave on my G6. Also buy the Creator software from chickensys.com. You can just load any NI Kontakt sample and multi-sample patch and beam it into your FG! That's what I missed for so long.