probability for drum sounds

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
ErdemD

probability for drum sounds

Post by ErdemD »

Hi all;

I have been checking the new "probability" feature coming with the recent generation of grooveboxes (Digitakt etc.). I recently figured out that there is a way to do that in Fantom G (or other Fantoms as well). TMT veolcity control switch actually allows you to select "Random" and (I think) based on the velocity ranges you chose you also adjust the probability of that voice/layer being triggered. Manual says:

TMT Velocity Control
(TMT Velocity Control Switch)
TMT Velocity Control determines whether a different tone is played (ON) or not (OFF) depending on the force with which the key is
played (velocity). When set to “RANDOM,” the patch’s constituent tones will sound randomly, regardless of any Velocity messages.
When set to “CYCLE,” the patch’s constituent tones will sound consecutively, regardless of any Velocity messages. Value: OFF, ON, RANDOM, CYCLE

Use “Velocity Range Lower” (p. 95) and “Velocity Range Upper” (p. 95) to specify the range of keyboard dynamics. If Velocity Range Lower and Velocity Range Upper are set to the same values, you won’t be able to obtain any effect by setting TMT Velocity Control to “RANDOM” or “CYCLE.”

So for example, if you create 3-layer drum sound and set distinct velocity ranges (not overlapping as to the note in manual above) and make layer 2 and 3 TVA levels as zero, then the first layer "randomness" will introduce a probability for that sound to be triggered, say, in a drum riff.

I hope you find this useful.

Cheers

Erdem