Are the ARX cards worth it?

Forum for Fantom-G6/7/8
TokyoScarab

Are the ARX cards worth it?

Post by TokyoScarab »

I'm partially eyeballing a Fantom G as a Fantom 2019 owner because it seems like the G is more of a standalone DAW type environment than the 2019 Fantom is. The promotional stuff for the ARX cards looks really good and I have no idea why Roland never pushed those features for drums, EPs, and brass forward and improved upon them. They seem like something that should just be the standard (or a similar type feature). I'm mostly interested in the drums and brass cards if I were to make the switch and I was wondering if anyone could offer more information on them or if they live up to the hype / demonstrations I've seen online. Thanks! :D
anotherscott2022

Re: Are the ARX cards worth it?

Post by anotherscott2022 »

The way that the brass card can dynamically allocate the different parts to different instruments as you play looks really nice. The only current keyboard that does that is the Yamaha Genos. I wish they'd bring that to the new Fantoms.
TokyoScarab

Post by TokyoScarab »

The part allocation on the Brass card looks and sounds really good and useful in the official demos I've seen of it. Why is that just a standardized thing for Roland at this point? lol

The ARX Drums expansion card is also something I've been hoping for the new Fantom as well. The fact it's basically just V-Drums on a card is super cool! The ability to customize all these parameters of each part of the kit sounds incredibly useful. It appears only about a quarter of those options made it into the Integra-7, which is really weird considering its whole thing was being a SuperNatural super module lol
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I've considered that option. Fantom G over newer Fantom. My only concern is whether I get dumped with a faulty unit!

I've bought loads of second hand stuff over the years and anything worth buying is always faulty! People sell this stuff mostly for that reason. If you had bought a Fantom G when they came out and it was like new, fully working why would you want to sell it? I wouldn't.

I had an EMX-1 Electribe from new, it died due to the fuse being too highly rated internally. Cost nearly £300 to get a new motherboard! I bought a second hand one and it's knobs work OK, but only active in a shorter range, from about 9 o'clock to about 3 o'clock and the midi doesn't work on it!

These things aren't cheap to repair and second hand gear that works is a risky business.

Roland should release a newer Fantom with same features but with linear sequencer, better aftertouch, audio tracks, and basically fix every issue currently outstanding.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

You are lucky. There are now many Fantom G7 available on the used vontage stuff market.
I myself still use my Fantom G6 with ARX-2 & 3 cards. I am very happy with the E-Piano and Brass simulation.
Since there are only two slots in the FG I have a drum card laying around. Maybe one day I will try it, but I am not a drums guy.
I just use pre programmed rythem tracks to have something to play to. I am not a professional, so I can't much more about the quality.
Since I grew up in the Seventies and Eighties of "the last century" I am amazed how good those digital synth engines sound.

It would have been nice to get an ARX card with V-Synth engine and a dedicated V-Combo Organ card, but instead I just bought a VR-730 and a used V-Synth. You can never have too many keyboards. We all want a Keyboard-Burg after all. ;)