Is it safe to switch CF cards while the FX is on?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
wudsiba

Is it safe to switch CF cards while the FX is on?

Post by wudsiba »

I just read a post that made me want to find the answer to this once and for all. I try to do it as little as possible, but I still do it from time to time.
howardS

Re: Is it safe to switch CF cards while the FX is on?

Post by howardS »

I have never had a problem with this and I remove flash cards quite often. You run into this problem removing USB cards and flash drives on computers since computers write to the cards as a background process so you never know when it has finished writing. For this reason you want to use your computer's "safely remove hardware" icon before removing these devices from your computer. I use a PC so it may have another name on the MAC. Whenever the FX is writing to the card though it appears to suspend all other operations until the process is complete so I think it is not using a write cache.

That said, I am sure you will find that many people who ensure that the unit is off before removing the card. Perhaps the question we should ask here is whether anyone has experienced any problems as a result of switching the CF cards while the FX is on?
robbie50

Yezz!!

Post by robbie50 »

I always remove the memorycard when the X7 is ON......
I use is about 3 years, no problem.......
The X reads the (new) card again........

but;
NEVER remove the card when the X is writing on it!

greetings,

rob
wudsiba

Post by wudsiba »

Right on, thanks fellas. I just ask because I remember the Fantom S manual said not to remove the smart media cards while it was on, but I have never seen anything said about the X. I have just recently have done it a lot more often than ever before, and just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to mess anything up...
da-man

Post by da-man »

Perhaps the question we should ask here is whether anyone has experienced any problems as a result of switching the CF cards while the FX is on?

I take the card out all the time with the FX on and never had a problem. I rotate card patch banks this way. I have them in folders and just copy the fans.svd file from the folder to the card area. Then I take the card out and push it back in to register the change.

This way I can have unlimited patches to access. Not ideal for me but I'm happy that at least I can do it this way. :)
whirl79

Post by whirl79 »

I always feel guilty when doing this, but nothing bad has ever happened and I guess it shouldn't so there's no reason to feel guilty heh
patrik_

Post by patrik_ »

sometimes it is necessary on juno g to reload new patches if i copy new svd file to card so dont worry.
ctimmerman

Post by ctimmerman »

I bought my FX November 2005, and have been using the same CF card since then, installing and removing with the power on and have never lost any data from the card. Songs, text files, and samples are constantly being added and removed on the card.

Carl