Fantom X performance question

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
richardaforman

Fantom X performance question

Post by richardaforman »

Hi guys, I have been playing a Fantom X7 as part of my live rig for years but am only now (for the first time in a few decades!) incorporating MIDI into my set-up. Quick/easy question hopefully - in a Fantom-X Performance, is there a way to set up a part such that, when it's played in its assigned key zone, it only triggers its assigned internal Fantom sound, but does not transmit MIDI data over any channel? I don't have a manual, sorry, but almost everything else with the axe has been easily intuitive enough for me to figure out without one, but I am tearing my hair out over this one.

Thank you very much for reading.
howardS

Re: Fantom X performance question

Post by howardS »

You may want to download the manual from here as there is a lot of good information in there. The answer to your question is on page 112 where it says you can turn on or off external parts. This is done in Part view under the External tab.
richardaforman

Post by richardaforman »

Thanks Howard I'll check it out.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Great. Glad I could help.
richardaforman

Post by richardaforman »

Gotta admit, I still couldn't find how to do it, on page 112 or anywhere in the "Creating a Performance" section of the manual. The information there was the same as what I could glean just going through the tabs and fields on my own. On the External tab of Edit Performance, there is an Rx switch which controls whether or not the synth itself receives the info from the keyboard. There is a Midi channel setting which controls what channel the data for that part is transmitted over, but no "off" option there, just channels 1 thru 16. If I am missing something and anyone can point me towards the exact setting and how to get to it, that would allow me to in effect say, "Yes, I have a cable plugged into the MIDI out jack, and this part is active in my Performance (has the check-box checked on the "Key Zone" tab and therefore plays internal sounds within its defined zone), but I do not want it to xmit data over any MIDI channel," I would be immensely grateful! In the meantime, I have worked around it by setting those channels to not receive on my other keyboard, but it is a bit of a hack.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Sorry about that. I fear you may be right that there is no off option selectable by channel. I think I used to just set the channels to match up properly and lived within that limitation.
HK77

Post by HK77 »

Could you please give some more details on your setup? What exactly do you wish to control via midi? If you wish to control an external synth it might be just a question of setting up the midi channels correctly.
richardaforman

Post by richardaforman »

Thanks for responding, HK77 - well, my other keyboard, which I'm controlling from the Fantom-X here over MIDI, happens to be a Yamaha MOXF8, but if you read my question, that doesn't really have anything to do with it. What I was trying to do is prevent the Fantom-X, specifically certain zones within a performance, from transmitting any data at all over any MIDI channel, regardless of what is on the receiving end. In fact, I have worked around this apparent limitation of the Fantom (see also HowardS's replied above) to get the end results I wanted, by setting up the other keyboard to *not receive* data on those channels, but I would much have rather not had to do that. Incidentally, the MOXF and some other workstations I have worked with, has a feature to turn off Ext transmission per part within a combi/performance (on the Yamaha, for instance there is a Int Sw and Ext Sw for each zone in what they call a Master), but as detailed in the conversation so far, the Fantom-X seems to lack that capability. Please chime in again if I'm missing something that you know of, that's of course very possible!
HK77

Post by HK77 »

richardaforman wrote: In fact, I have worked around this apparent limitation of the Fantom (see also HowardS's replied above) to get the end results I wanted, by setting up the other keyboard to *not receive* data on those channels, but I would much have rather not had to do that.
Hi!
That's exactly what I would have also done. :) I'm unable to test it at the moment myself as my FX6 is at our band's training location, but have you tried assigning the split zone to a part in the performance and then turning that part off? As far as I know in that case the keyboard should not do anything at all, not even send midi when playing those notes.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
richardaforman

Post by richardaforman »

Well yes, if the zone is not active within the performance, then it will not xmit, I know that, but it won't trigger internal sounds either. I was hoping for a way to have a zone trigger internal sounds but not transmit Midi data; alas, or seems like it's but meant to be. Thanks again for the input!