MZB3 Dual Manual Hammond B3 Emulation V1.7

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
2Him4Him

Re: MZB3 Dual Manual Hammond B3 Emulation V1.7

Post by 2Him4Him »

Alright. I'm having quite a bit of trouble with this one. I have a Fantom-S I'm trying to put this on (before I try to put it on the X8 I have). I have to say, I was impressed with B4REAL's download, but after reading all the rave reviews on this one, I wanted to give it a try. So, I have a couple questions/comments regarding some issues I'm having:

1.) Can someone tell me why I have to have a blank formatted flash card to put this on, rather than just putting it on one that I'm already using for other files? I have plenty of room.

2.) I'm barely getting ANY sound from my board once I moved over all the files. I've read over MZ's pdf, along with any other instructions I could find, and a lot of it was still greek to me. This was my process -- I moved over the "MZ B3" folder from my desktop to the flash card (contained PNL / SEQ / SMPL / SND folders) -- 'moved' the contents of the SEQ folder (SVQ file) over to my Fantom's SEQ/SNG folder -- 'moved' all the Samples from the SMPL folder over to my Fantom's SMPL folder -- left the 'fans.svd' folder where it was. First off, the samples don't play. I see them listed, but they're not highlighted and I can't select/preview them. And second, once I load the .SVQ file into the sequencer, it just plays some jacked-up sounds.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and answer my questions?

I dig this forum. Thanks so much!
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

Hi!

1) This is because it uses custom samples, if you put them to your current card it would not know where the samples are. This is a limitation of the Fantoms sample storage. Workaround is to build your sample library into the MZB3 card, but it takes time.

2) Have you loaded the card samples? This is the most common reason for no sound. ;)
2Him4Him

Post by 2Him4Him »

Thanks so much for the response! I'm anxious to use this emulator!!

1.) I'll try the blank/formatted card.

2.) Well, I've loaded the samples. I mean, I think I've done it the right way. Like I said in my previous post, I loaded them and I see them listed, but they're not highlighted and and I can't select/preview them.

Since my last post, I've done a factory reset on my board, but I have yet to try loading your emulator again. Let me make sure I'm doing this right:
- Once I load everything onto a formatted flash card, then I load the samples.
- Once the samples are loaded, then I should be able to play from the Performances. Correct?? I don't need to make any additional changes? And how about once I load the SVQ? Should I be able to get sound from the keys straight-away? Or do I have to "re-assign RPS patterns" (which I don't understand at ALL) in order to get the sound?

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you so much for your patience!!!
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

It should be as simple as copying the contents of the archive (minus the manual pdf...) to a blank card, and then loading the samples.

After that the performances should sound, and the SVQ also.

You dont need to "re-assign RPS patterns" to get sound out the SVQ. The re-assigning simply means that you have to place patterns to different/working pads as this emulation was programmed with a Fantom-Xa, that has only 9 pads, the bigger Fantoms have 12 pads.

Another possible reason for trouble is that you have some controller pulling the volume setting down, the volume is assigned to knob 2, pull this knob all the way to the LEFT side, as it works in "reverse".

Also I dont have a confirmation from a Fantom-S user if the RPS features actually work in it.

And all questions are welcome, so feel free to ask anything about this soundset.
udos

Post by udos »

Hi,

is it possible to add an organ bass on the lower manual?

Regards
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

Hi udos.

Long time since I have visited these forums. :)

It should be possible to reconfigure it to have bass sounds on the lower manual. This performance does not have b3 organ bass (pedals) programmed in it, but you could simply use any bass patch that you like. Parts 8 to 16 of the performance are free to use, just select a patch, and put it on suitable midi channel to be controlled by your controller keyboard.
udos

Post by udos »

Hi MossyZombie,

thanks a lot for your help.
I managed a bass sound to work on the lower manual, but unfortunately it's not possible to split my second keyboard. Now I have Parts 4, 5, 6 and 8 (bass) on the entire lower manual, which is midi channel 1, but bass should only sound on the lower 2 octaves. Key range adjustments on the Fantom (XA) didn't help.
I tried everything else from kbdsw on/off to other midi channels and so on.
Do you have any idea?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Udos, can you restrict the key range of the Bass part at the Patch level?
udos

Post by udos »

Hi MossyZombie, it works. So I also have to 'cut' the upper half of the lower manual sounds too.
It's a little work, but it's worth it. This organ sounds fantastic.
Thanks a lot for your fast help.
Indykeys

Post by Indykeys »

Okay, reviving a dead one here:

Just came across this emulator. Have no idea how to get the upper and lower manuals MIDI channels set. I'm using an old crapped out Hammond xb2 as the lower manual. I am fantom midi in to xb2 midi out (the only way to get any midi signal to "sound"). The xb2 is only playing the same midi signal (upper manual) as the fantom (upper manual). I want lower manual on the xb2 but have no idea how to get there. I have futzed with midi settings and channels and buttons all day and nothing.

P.S. Midi cabled to the opposite in/out routing makes no sound on the xb2 at all. Not even upper manual.

Help?
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

If the emulator uses two sounds on two different MIDI channels, it must operate in Performance mode.
First connect the MIDI out of the XB2 to the Fantom's MIDI in. The explanation below is based on the assumption that you are using a Fantom X.

1. Make sure Remote Keyboard Switch mode is turned on on the Fantom (Menu --> System --> MIDI).

To check which MIDI channels you should set the keyboards to:

2. From the main screen, press the 'Layer/Split' button, then F2 (Part view).
3. Then press F8 (MIDI filter). This will display the MIDI channels for all the parts used.
I suspect the guy who created the emulator used MIDI channels 1 and 2 but I could be wrong.
3. Set the XB2 to the same channel as the lower manual sound.
4. Set the Fantom to the same channel as the upper manual sound.

This should work.
Indykeys

Post by Indykeys »

Thanks gcoudert67, it did work. This Hammond sim is pretty great and a lot of fun. After a week or so of play the only thing missing is getting my expression pedal on the remote xb-2 controller to work as an expression pedal. It does work with the fantom samples (piano, horns, whatever), when used externally thru the xb-2 but does not have any effect at all when used with the mzb3 samples. I have set the xb-2 to use the expression externally and internally.

Lastly, I entered into the xb-2's menu system where I located a midi control menu which lets me change controller number selections for the exp. pedal. The default is 7 (of 127 number options). I changed it to 4 and the expression pedal worked!! - BUT BACKWARDS POLARITY (toe forward reduces volume) and the other numbers not only don't change this parameter but now that I left the default setting of 7 to choose other numbers all other selections (other than backwards polarity 4) cutoff all sound (volume or signal, I don't know- just no sound)!!!!ARGHHH! Found the footswitch menu and changed the expression pedal polarity. No change. It gets louder with a heel drop either way. No physical switch on either the pedal or keyboard.

Advice?
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Pedal polarity: Menu --> System --> Pedal/DBeam --> Control pedal polarity.

Controlling sounds in the Performance with the pedal:
- Load an organ Performance
- Press Layer/Split
- Press F2 (Part view)
- Press F8 (MIDI filter)
- Make sure the 'Ex' box is ticked ('checked' in US parlance!) for the sound(s) you want to control with the expression pedal.

If they are already ticked/checked, press Patch/Rhythm and browse to one of the organ patches that make up the Performance (the Performance gives you their location on the Part view --> Level/Pan screen).
- Press Patch Edit
- Press Pro Edit
- Press F2 until you get to Ctrl 1/2/3/4 (check all four)
- Make sure one and only one of the four is set to 'Ctrl 1/2/3/4 source: CC11 Expeession pedal'
- Make sure Ctrl Switch 1 is set to on for all parts that are 'on'
- Set the Ctrl destination to whatever you want (volume, effect speed, etc.)
- Set Ctrl Sens to the maximum value
- Check the pedal actually affects the sound
- Save the patch
- Go back to Performance mode (you may have to change the patch to another one and set it again for the Performance to recognise the changes made to it)
- It should work!
gdh

Post by gdh »

Just bought a CF adapter off ebay(shoukd arr from Hong Kong in 4 or so weeks) looking fwd to hearing these. I have 2 JD 990's one has the Vintage Keys card the other Sounds of the 60's and 70's card. Tbh I bought theFantom X6 for my son and he gave it back to me after owning it for about 8 yrs.never owned a workstation before so lots of reading to do. Currently own a Prophet 08, MiniMoog, Radias, Juno 60, 2 JD 990's, JP 8080 and The X6. Looks like the JP 8080 will go as it sits far more than being used. I have been using the Prophet as the controller but would like to use the X6 for more versatality.

I have a Windows 10 laptop, MacBook Pro but I always found that using an old IMac was very easy to use with the Radias and Prophet for loading sysex, patches etc. in the past. I'll try with Windows first if problems occur I may pull the old iMac out of the storage closet and try.
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Shame you're not in Europe, I'd have snapped up that 8080. But let's not digress...