Transposition over MIDI

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
richardaforman

Transposition over MIDI

Post by richardaforman »

Wondering if anybody can offer suggestions on this issue. When using my Fantom X7 as a MIDI controller, if I have transposed the keyboard, or part of it, using either of these two methods - 1) Changing the "Master Note shift" setting in the System/MIDI menu, or 2) editing the "Coarse tuning" setting for a Part on the "PItch" tab in Performance edit - the notes I play on the keyboard seem to be transmitted to the MIDI-receiving sound source I am connected to, as the physical note I played on the Fantom keyboard, disregarding the transposition. (So my Fantom X and my other MIDI soound source will simulatenously sound different notes a half step apart, if that's the amount I have transposed the keyboard. So if I have Master Note Shift set to +1 and play a C on the keyboard, the Fantom will sound a C#, and the MIDI sound source being controlled will sound a C natural.)

Is there another setting I can change to affect this behavior? I have tried the experiment with two different sound sources on the receiving end and the behavior happens with both of them. I have experimented with changing some of the other settings on the System/MIDI menu but none seem to have solved it. Oh, and if I transpose in octaves by using the global Octave + and - dedicated buttons on Fantom X's control panel, that *does* work, i.e. the receiving sources sound the played notes ocatave-shifted.

Thanks very much for reading this.
Greg Midi

Re: Transposition over MIDI

Post by Greg Midi »

When you change the presets pitch settings you are only changing the sound of that preset, I mean if you went to the next preset you'd be playing in tune again on your keyboard so no, that pitch information is not going to be transmitted. Changing the pitch with the buttons is a global change where all the patches tuning will be changed.
In my setup where I use 3 keyboards, both for their onboard sounds as well as playing additional sounds on a Fantom XR unit, if I need to change a tuning I change it in all the patches that will be played so that I'm sure to get consistent results.
richardaforman

Re: Transposition over MIDI

Post by richardaforman »

Thanks....I can sort of see that, but I thought that changing the value of Master Note Shift in System/Sound menu, which is also a global change, would have the intended result. Seems like a real weakness if there's no way to tell the keyboard to transmit all notes played over MIDI transposed up a half-step. Changing the *tuning* wouldn't be expected to affect receiving sound sources, but transposing the notes played seems to me certainly seems like it should. You shouldn't have to go around to all your sound sources and tell them individually to transpose the received notes up a step, seems terrible. Anybody else have any info?