Fantom X Editor working on Yosemite!!!! YES! :-D

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
scunacc

Fantom X Editor working on Yosemite!!!! YES! :-D

Post by scunacc »

Hey all!!!! :-D GOOD NEWS!

I have the Windows Fantom X editor working on **Yosemite** using Wine.

(As others have mentioned, using the Snow Leopard driver seems to work with Yosemite to talk to the Fantom X keyboards via USB. I've been doing that for a while just for general use of the keyboard.)

However, what I now have working, and it wasn't difficult to set up, is the actual editor talking to the Fantom X.

So far it's working GREAT!

So, here are the steps. I'm a command line guy, so, I'm assuming here you have a Terminal window open to type in the commands below.

1.) Make sure you can see the Fantom X keyboard via the USB driver. (SL works for Yosemite as I say).

2.) Install MacPorts (If you don't know what that is, Google Macports, run the installer).

https://www.macports.org/install.php

You'll also need to install Xcode and the Xcode command line tools in order for various Macports applications to build. A bit of a bother, but not hard to do. You get Xcode from the mac App store, and then you can get the command line tools from within the program or as decscribed here:

https://guide.macports.org/#installing.xcode

3.) Once you've got Macports and the Xcode tools installed, install Wine:

sudo port install wine

That will take a while since it needs to install some other bits and pieces too.

(BTW: I have been reluctant to use Wine for many things because of stability, but, for this it seems to be just dandy! :-D)

4.) Run the Fantom X installer *from the Windows EXE*

wine FantomXEditor210.EXE

That will bring up a dialog to unpack the editor to a macOS folder. Choose a directory you want to install it under. Create one if need be. Make sure it matches the dialog entry.

5.) Navigate to that directory, and run

wine setup.exe

That will run the standard installer and put the result under:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Roland/Fantom-XEditor

(Where ~ is your home dir on macOS)

6.) Now you can run the editor by doing

cd ~/.wine/c_drive/Program\ Files/Roland/Fantom-XEditor
wine Fantom-XEditor.exe

Note: It does not need to have the *Windows* driver installed because Wine talks to the Core MIDI driver, and, assuming you installed your macOS Fantom X driver, you can point it to that in the dialog box.

And, it all works!!!! VERY VERY COOL!

:-D

Links to screen caps pics are below. Didn't seem to want to embed them inline:

https://app.box.com/s/7ymh2unnybzdskig34uskl0hce45sznf

https://app.box.com/s/kmf13zunv19nmuosu94yp6dsuqucd8om
ensho

Re: Fantom X Editor working on Yosemite!!!! YES! :-D

Post by ensho »

Hello scunacc,

I will be migrating/updating my MacBook in the near future, and I haven't really put thought into compatibility issues yet. It seems that you have the solution to a problem I might be facing shortly.

So thank you for the info and the install manual!

Cheers,
ensho
jordanhedlund

Post by jordanhedlund »

Hi Scunacc,

I ended up having the same idea and going through WineBottler, just like you - the only hang up that I'm still having is that I am unable to install Roland's USB Driver, even the Snow Leopard version (I'm on Yosemite now). I uploaded a picture of what I get - any workaround? I know I need the USB driver, somehow.

J
Attachments
Fantom can't be installed.png
Fantom can't be installed.png (52.71 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
scunacc

Post by scunacc »

jordanhedlund wrote:Hi Scunacc,

I ended up having the same idea and going through WineBottler, just like you - the only hang up that I'm still having is that I am unable to install Roland's USB Driver, even the Snow Leopard version (I'm on Yosemite now). I uploaded a picture of what I get - any workaround? I know I need the USB driver, somehow.

J
Hmmm. I don't know. It did work for me :-/

Are you using the latest SL driver from Roland's site?

This I think is the correct link:

https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_pr ... 35e65e21d/

Don't know what else to suggest - sorry :-/

The other thing you might try is a direct DIN MIDI connection. I haven't tried that but it should work I think since Wine will use the Core MIDI driver anyway, so as long as it can do bi-directional MIDI comms it shouldn't matter if it uses DIN MIDI vs. USB I don't think. If you do try that, I'd be interested to know if it works.
lalolead

Post by lalolead »

ok, here to revive this thread.

I have successfully installed the fantom x editor .librarian & sample converter in OS X Sierra. My predicament is as follows, since there is no drivers available for any OSX past lion and the SL v100 referred by you installs but does nothing in the system how could one set up the usb to midi in the wine program?

I can see the unit (usb to midi) listed in the devices on the editor and tried all possible combinations with no success.

what are your in and outs set as?
lalolead

Post by lalolead »

never mind I got it, I'm using a midi mixer as well to control other synths and forgot to point the usb to midi in to the fantom X out. now to figure out how not to get this midi to freeze my fantom.
scunacc

Post by scunacc »

I decided to switch to DIN MIDI to not have to bother with trying to get a working USB driver installed. That works fine with this setup.

I've had to modify the sequence of steps a tad with later versions of macOS - Sierra, High Sierra - but it still works. Had to use the WineHQ version of Wine to make it work basically.

Regards
scunacc

Post by scunacc »

Here are the modified instructions for Sierra / High Sierra.

1.) Make sure you are using MIDI cables, not USB - the USB driver isn't working for me (it did under Yosemite but is not working under Sierra). YMMV but DIN MIDI works.

2.) Download Wine Stable from the link below and install. Only use 32-bit install. Do not install 64-bit.

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html

3.) Run the app, and in the window that starts, navigate (using cd) to an unpacked version of your Fantom X editor installer and run the setup.

In my case that was:

cd
cd Downloads
cd exes
cd FantomXEditor210

(Your mileage will vary above depending on where you unpacked it).

Then do:

wine setup.exe

4.) It will probably ask to download and install Gecko. Let it do that.

5.) Once the setup is finished, in that same Wine HQ terminal window do this:

cd
cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Roland/Fantom-XEditor/

Then:

wine Fantom-XEditor.exe

5.) First time it starts it may take a moment since the MIDI ports are not defined. You will need to dismiss a small window that only shows the title bar (I think it's the one saying MIDI ports aren't defined, but it doesn't display properly for some reason (at least it didn't for me)), and then choose your MIDI in / out from the normal Editor menu.

6.) Once done, click on Read to read the current Fantom X settings and it should work.

7.) Thereafter, you should be able to start it without dismissing any other windows by following the steps in 5.) above.
Leonidkillian

Post by Leonidkillian »

Wow you did an outstanding job documenting this, it works ! Ty so much scunacc!

CT

scunacc wrote:Hey all!!!! :-D GOOD NEWS!

I have the Windows Fantom X editor working on **Yosemite** using Wine.

(As others have mentioned, using the Snow Leopard driver seems to work with Yosemite to talk to the Fantom X keyboards via USB. I've been doing that for a while just for general use of the keyboard.)

However, what I now have working, and it wasn't difficult to set up, is the actual editor talking to the Fantom X.

So far it's working GREAT!

So, here are the steps. I'm a command line guy, so, I'm assuming here you have a Terminal window open to type in the commands below.

1.) Make sure you can see the Fantom X keyboard via the USB driver. (SL works for Yosemite as I say).

2.) Install MacPorts (If you don't know what that is, Google Macports, run the installer).

https://www.macports.org/install.php

You'll also need to install Xcode and the Xcode command line tools in order for various Macports applications to build. A bit of a bother, but not hard to do. You get Xcode from the mac App store, and then you can get the command line tools from within the program or as decscribed here:

https://guide.macports.org/#installing.xcode

3.) Once you've got Macports and the Xcode tools installed, install Wine:

sudo port install wine

That will take a while since it needs to install some other bits and pieces too.

(BTW: I have been reluctant to use Wine for many things because of stability, but, for this it seems to be just dandy! :-D)

4.) Run the Fantom X installer *from the Windows EXE*

wine FantomXEditor210.EXE

That will bring up a dialog to unpack the editor to a macOS folder. Choose a directory you want to install it under. Create one if need be. Make sure it matches the dialog entry.

5.) Navigate to that directory, and run

wine setup.exe

That will run the standard installer and put the result under:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Roland/Fantom-XEditor

(Where ~ is your home dir on macOS)

6.) Now you can run the editor by doing

cd ~/.wine/c_drive/Program\ Files/Roland/Fantom-XEditor
wine Fantom-XEditor.exe

Note: It does not need to have the *Windows* driver installed because Wine talks to the Core MIDI driver, and, assuming you installed your macOS Fantom X driver, you can point it to that in the dialog box.

And, it all works!!!! VERY VERY COOL!

:-D

Links to screen caps pics are below. Didn't seem to want to embed them inline:

https://app.box.com/s/7ymh2unnybzdskig34uskl0hce45sznf

https://app.box.com/s/kmf13zunv19nmuosu94yp6dsuqucd8om
scunacc

Post by scunacc »

Leonidkillian wrote:it works ! Ty so much scunacc!

CT
You are welcome! :-) Thankful it worked for you.
Escaperocks

Post by Escaperocks »

Let me add my thanks. I just followed along and I now have Fantom Editor working on my Macbook Pro with High Sierra. This is awesome!
JazzXR

Post by JazzXR »

Hi!
Thank you very much for your guide. I was able to run the Fantom XR Editor on Mac High Sierra.
But I cannot see the Fantom XR as a MIDI Device...
could someone please help?

Ciao!
battlecate

Post by battlecate »

OK!

I am a Linux and MAC user, and I have NEVER been able to get the Roland software to work under Wine. Though my focus has always been via the USB cable not a MIDI cable.

I, instead, have used an Oracle VirtualBox with Windows 07-32 bit installed to use the Roland Fantom Librarian.

While I see this post has to deal with the Roland Fantom Editor, I wonder if it is possible to get it to work with the Librarian software in Linux natively?

I will give this a try later on and write back on how it goes. It would be great to eliminate a VirtualBox that I only keep to transfer 5080-XV patches to my X8.

--BC