Fantom X8 going out of tune :-(

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
nevermore

Fantom X8 going out of tune :-(

Post by nevermore »

Today I was playing my X8 and it has randomly been detuning itself. I can be playing as normal and suddenly everything will tune down a semitone. Then sometime it will sound just the tiniest bit off, so it sounds ugly. If I change instrument then sometimes it will go back into tune, then after a second or two it will go right back out.
Anyone hear of this happening before, or what to do about it?
HiveHead

Re: Fantom X8 going out of tune :-(

Post by HiveHead »

All i can say is - back up your stuff and do a factory reset. If you have inadvertantly changed something this will sort it out.

Matthew
riddimski

Post by riddimski »

You ever messed with the D-beam setting?
Like transpose or something.

And placing something right on the D-beam to cause the keys to transpose in an odd timing...

No?

Big up!
So mi go so den...

riddimski

Fantom-X6 Audio Track Expansion with SRX-08, -09, and -98
stone91033

Post by stone91033 »

Hey Nevermore - you are not alone. I too have a Fantom X8 and have random de-tuning problems. It just started about 2 months ago and goes down a semitone or so and will drift around tuning- wise. I haven't found the cause or solution yet but I do notice that if I increase the velocity of my playing it will usually go back in tune and stay there. I've just been too lazy to do the factory reset - that may cure the problem.

David
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

maybe a problem on potentiometer of pitch bend lever...
Still Learning

Post by Still Learning »

This has been discussed in a March 2005 thread: http://forum.fantomized.info/index.php? ... d=0&page=1

I had the same problem 12 months ago. and I solved it by turning off the patch remain feature. I have since left patch remain off and I have never had the problem since.

***post dated 01 March 2005 from the above linked thread***
This has happened to me also...
A while ago, my X8 would go sharp almost exactly 140 cents (a little over 1 semitone, verified with a pretty accurate computer-based guitar tuner). It started right after I set PATCH REMAIN to "ON" using operating system version 1.03. I was playing some rather fast and hard left-hand 12 bar blues chords in C (you know, CCCCCCCC, FFFFFFFF, CCCCCCCC, G........., etc, ad nauseam!) and when I went rally fast and hit the chords really hard, my X8 would go sharp on one of the chord changes. The first time this happened I was shocked and a little scared. Then the engineer in me to over and I started carefully experimenting, changing only 1 variable at a time.

I did a factory reset, played the 12 bars a while and my X8 stayed in tune perfectly. I turned on patch remain, played the 12 bars and noticed almost immediately the 140 cent sharp pitch switch. I don't honestly remember if I switched patches prior to my X8 going sharp, but I do remember that I stayed in Patch mode and concluding that it must have some thing to do with PATCH REMAIN set to "ON".

Since then I've left Patch Remain in it's factory reset default mode (i.e. "OFF") and I've upgraded to version 2.0 and I haven't tried repeating my little experiment.

---------------------------
Learning to play like Sponge Bob !
stone91033

Post by stone91033 »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I already had patch remain set to off. I thought about the pot in the pitch bend lever, and sometimes I can get it back in tune by wildly moving the lever. It's very strange, indeed. Also, its not just the internal sound engine that goes out of tune, the X8 sends this tuning info to my softsynths and they will go out of tune even when I'm not playing the Fantom - just listening to my tracks in Sonar (I do have the X8 set to midi in for the softsynths). I haven't played live in 15 years so I don't stess about it much. It is quite aggravating though.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

pitch bend messages are a problem on the fantom and i sent mails to roland along time ago regarding this but as usual they passed it off as being normal operations? WTF??

the problem is that if you recorded any pitch biend messages in your sequences and stoped your sequence somewhere in the middles or half way through a bend, that instrument/s will retain this pitch and a reset is not send on stop.
I feel a pitch bend reset should be automatic on stop.

However my workaround is to always insert a pitchbend 0
into all channels at location 000 00 000
never had the problem since.
I suppose if you dont want to always have to do this
just do it once in an empty song and when needed import.

X-Bugs.org
(Become part of the solution)

Results not Excuses

QuinnX universal tranlator below:-
(lets not be misunderstood)

!!!!!! Emphasis not anger
!!?? Confusion or Stupidity
ABC are you getting the point
&*$% Anger (but rarely seen)

Fantom-X6 with Audio Track Expansion (OS 2.0)
Windows 2000
Intel P4 2g
512mb
mistergrimalkin

Post by mistergrimalkin »

Hi nevermore and all,

I'm just wondering if anyone managed to find another solution to this problem? My X6 recently started doing exactly the same thing.

It did it while I was recording to the sequencer, and when I opened up the track afterwards there was a pitch bend message in there. I didn't have an expression pedal or any external MIDI gear plugged in, I didn't touch the pitch bend lever and the d-beam was off.

It's still under warranty, but I've heard Roland are pretty crap with repairs/replacements. Anyone know?

cheers,

grimalkin
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

This is what i normaly do

If your fantom has suddenly gone out of tune...

enable keyboard switch on all channels in performance mixer2

move the pitch bender all the way to the left or right

release the pitch bender

DISABLE KEYBOARD SWITCH ON ALL CHANNELS

all in tune again..

Now take this to the next level.

if you have a sequence/song you have recorded, do the following..

press reset on the sequencer to set the song back to 00 00 00
press record
set count in to 2 measures
using the same method above
pull the pitch bend all the way to the left
press start
after the 1st measure count in, release the pitch bend,

Then wait for your track to begin and then stop

you have now just inserted a pitchbend reset into your song/sequence at 00 000 00 on all channels
this will ensure your song and fantom always starts in tune every time.

DONT FORGET TO DISABLE THE KEYBOARD SWITCH IN MIXER 2 ONCE YOU HAVE COMPLETED THIS TASK.

X-Bugs.org
(Become part of the solution)

Results not Excuses

QuinnX universal tranlator below:-
(lets not be misunderstood)

!!!!!! Emphasis not anger
!!?? Confusion or Stupidity
ABC are you getting the point
&*$% Anger (but rarely seen)

Fantom-X6 with Audio Track Expansion (OS 2.0)
Windows 2000
Intel P4 2g
512mb
illiac

Post by illiac »

You can alternatively use a RESET ALL CONTROLLERS message (CC message) at the beginning of a track to reset all the controllers. It will reset not only pitch bend but modulation, expression, sustain, etc. It's CC #121.

-illiac
Buddy8705

Post by Buddy8705 »

I know I may not get a answer with this post being 12yrs old but did any one find a solution to this problem? It's 2018 and I have ran into the same problem as the rest of you all and can't find anything online to this solution.

Back Story:
Went to a band practice and randomly this starts. My guess is from the pitch bend because there's nothing else that I did except the usual of changing sounds.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
bourbonbob

Post by bourbonbob »

Some of my favorite whiskies are also 12 years old, so I'll put my 2 cents in. I had a broken keybed subframe and it was replaced. Last night however, the problem came back. These parts are relatively fragile and break easily. Might want to check that.