Control/Expression Pedal

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
ViPeRx007

Control/Expression Pedal

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I'm looking into buying an expression pedal for my Fantom X. Does anyone have any opinions on which ones seem to work the best for the X?

Thanks.

Thanks,
Brian Tippets
brian[at]silvertekdesign.com
my music on myspace

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GEAR
Roland Fantom X8 w/Audio Track Expansion (OS 2.0)
SRX-06 Complete Orchestra
Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2A X 2
Yamaha FC4 Sustain Pedal
Krokodilen

Re: Control/Expression Pedal

Post by Krokodilen »

I'm using a volume pedal to control different values. Cutoff for instance. There is a difference betwene how different pedals work. A volume pedal keeps the value/possition when released, a expression pedal returns to zero value and a switch does just set something on or off.

The weight of a pedal tells you if you are likely to ducktape it to the floor or not. For live usage a large, heavy pedal probably is the best alternative.

Hope it helps.
dalematt

Post by dalematt »

When I bought my pedal, it was strongly recommended that I buy Roland as it would be completely compatable. It is heavy, as Krokodilen suggested, and has rubber tips underneath. Still, it slides around on a slippery floor. When that happens, I put a small rubber mat under it. It works fairly well, but still not 100%.

Dale
ViPeRx007

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Well I'd probably use it, for example, when using strings..to be able to build up sound and decrescendo back to nothing. I'm assuming that means I'd want a volume pedal?

Thanks,
Brian Tippets
brian[at]silvertekdesign.com
my music on myspace

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
GEAR
Roland Fantom X8 w/Audio Track Expansion (OS 2.0)
SRX-06 Complete Orchestra
Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2A X 2
Yamaha FC4 Sustain Pedal
hoodedclaw

Post by hoodedclaw »

I use the BOSS FV 500L's for volume & expression control, a real sturdy floor pedal with light/heavy adjustments and it won't move about either, and oh..... it's built like a tank with it's all metal construction, they're about £59 UK each here.
analog_

Post by analog_ »

For your needs a Volume pedal is the best.

just for info: I have an hold (heavy metal very stable) Yamaha Volume pedal atached to my FX6 and it works very fine.

Yam TX816, SY77, TG77; Kurz PC88; Rol Jv2080, VS1680, Fantom X6; Event 20/20; and my old MPC2000XL returned as midi MASTER
SonicMan

Post by SonicMan »

is there a pedal that can act as an expression pedal and a foot switch?
since the FX have only 2 plugins for pedals (unlike other synths that have 4).
it is very hard for me (for now i only have the basic FX8 with no SRX's or memory cards) to switch between patches manually, so i need the footswitch in order to switch between patches and the expression for volume and othe parameters.
MrMulti

Sy77 Volume pedal doesn't work for me.

Post by MrMulti »

Is there a setting on the synth that I need to get this to work? Also, I think I tried a sustain switch that didn't work either... Are there settings for that? It looks like you need to assign the pedal input to the controller or something

Hear my Original Tunes
http://www.mrmulti.com/music.htm
bassman

Post by bassman »

MrMulti,

The most common cause of the pedal not working is the polarity. Go to Menu>System>Pedal/D-Beam and check the 'Polarity' setting. Toggle it to another value and see what you get.

Bassman
analog_

Sy77 Volume pedal doesn't work for me.

Post by analog_ »

MrMulti,
Like I sad on a previous post: I have an hold (heavy metal very stable) Yamaha Volume pedal atached to my FX6 and it works very fine.
I use it to control the EXPRESSION controller on the FX6 and there is no need to toggle the Polarity setting!
What are you trying to control with your SY77 Volume Pedal?

Yam TX816, SY77, TG77; Kurz PC88; Rol Jv2080, VS1680, Fantom X6; Event 20/20; and my old MPC2000XL returned as midi MASTER
Radon_22

Post by Radon_22 »

I'm using an Alesis CF-1: VERY heavy-duty, with a good feel and lots of metal. Not bad for $49 bucks.

Radon_22

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get into the office" - Robert Frost
markw

Post by markw »

MrMulti,

If it's a Yamaha FC7 foot controller you're talking about, you need to modify it (the FC7 foot pedal) to use with your Fantom. Here's some background on the differences between the Roland EV5 and the Yamaha FC7 and an explanation of what I did:

The Roland Foot Controller EV5 is a 10K potentiometer in series with a 45K variable resistance "minimum" pot, with the "bottom" pot terminal to the plug's sleeve, the "wiper" pot terminal to the plug's tip, and the "top" pot terminal to the plug's ring.

The Yamaha Foot Controller FC7 is very similar, but it is a 50K pot, with the "bottom" pot terminal to the plug's sleeve, the "wiper" pot terminal to the plug's ring, and the "top" pot terminal to the plug's tip.

If you're handy with a screwdriver and a soldering iron, open up your FC7 pedal and swap the tip and ring wires on the potentiometer. On my FC7, these were the red and white wires. For me, this did the trick, and I can use it with my Fantom now! I take no responsibility for your mods or any damage you may do, but this worked for me!

Mark W
MrMulti

not too handy

Post by MrMulti »

This is the volume pedal that came with the sy77 many years ago - no markings on it at all hardly, except for "yamaha" on the foot pad and cb83742 on the back..there are some plates that I have not unscrewed yet. (i cannot solder, but isn';t that what the reverse polarity is for?)

But what I really want is the ry15 sustain pedal to work...how do I get that to functtion? Can I ? Actually I think I just did. seems to work now

Hear my Original Tunes
http://www.mrmulti.com/music.htm
markw

Don't try this at home :-)

Post by markw »

Yeah, if you're not handy, don't try the FC7 mod I described above. You may make a mess of things. The control pedal is not real easy to take apart and get back together again. But I also don't think any "reverse polarity" settings will get the FC7 to work with the Fantom-X by themselves. The problem is where the wiper of the potentiometer is connected... it needs to be at the tip of the jack, not at the ring of the jack. Roland and Yamaha use different wiring conventions.

But yes, you should be able to get a SUSTAIN pedal like the RY15 to work, as you have observed.

Good luck.

Mark W
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Mark,

I purchased the FC7 MANY years ago and realized I was unable to use it with my Fantom X6 (despite the sales person at Steve's music insisting that it was compatible). I never got rid of it, and I recently came across your customization trick - I tried it and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

Dave