Fantom-S questions regarding Urban/Rnb/HipHop style music

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
uzie

Fantom-S questions regarding Urban/Rnb/HipHop style music

Post by uzie »

Hey everyone.

I'm looking at purchasing the Fantom-S and I am looking for some reviews.

My main concern is the sounds, I will be purchasing SRX expansions but I want to know how the stock sounds are.

How it is for Hip Hop/Rnb type. I am looking for guitars, bass, piano, and synthy type sounds.

I been reading conflicting reports, at motifator.com (yamaha motif site), in the forum there was a post about the Fantom-S.

A few people said the sounds were really nice but others said it sucked compared to the Triton and Motif. (ofcourse they'll be bias towards the motif).

Anyways I do not want to get the Triton or motif because practically everyone has one now a days so I'm looking for something new with different sounds to get that production edge.

If anyone could please post mp3 snippets of some sounds/songs/demos anything done with the fantom-s stock sounds. We all know the "mp3 demos" on the roland page do not do it justice.

Anyways let me know if you can help out and give me the breakdown on sounds in each catergory and if you can compare it to a Triton/Motif/Proteus/ etc type.

Catergories

Bass:
Pianos:
Strings:
Guitars:
Synths:
Drums:
SFX:
Other:

Thanks so much for your time.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom-S questions regarding Urban/Rnb/HipHop style musi

Post by Artemiy »

Well, you can read this review:
http://fantom-s.artemio.net/?p=reviews/19-04-2003.php

It covers the ROM sounds of the Fantom-S - so you can find out what is in there in details.

As for the SRX expansions - SRX-05 SupremeDance and SRX-08 PlatinumTrax would be great for you.

I heard many hiphop and r&b sounds there - all what you requested. SRX-08 contains samples from SR-JV80 hiphop, techno and house. I own hiphop and house right now - and I've done many cool r&b and 2step tracks without any hassle.

Also, you can check out commercial sampling CDs - there are loads of r&b/hiphop samples on them. Check out http://www.ueberschall.com for their "da nu R&B hiphop" and "da nu hiphop era" CDs - these really shake yerr booty :-)

Additionally, fantom-s.artemio.net will soon include licence-free, pro-quality sample kits, including r&b- and hiphop-oriented ones.

So check out in about two-three weeks.

Artemio
uzie

Post by uzie »

Awesome.

Yea for SRX I was gonna get the Ultimate Keys, the Orchestral one, and PlatinumTrax

I'm not sure if Supreme Dance would be a better choice then the Platinum one.

I'll read that review.

If you have made anything and can post a snippet of something so I can hear it that'd be great.

Thanks again
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Well, you can download some mp3s from http://artemio.net/?p=hear.php. These tracks were made with HipHop and House boards, and with a little of Asia board - using XP-80 workstaion.

HipHop and House boards are both killer - real loads of drums and percussion. So PlatinumTrax will be a great choise.

Artemio