Preset-F bank on Fantom-S88?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Hans

Preset-F bank on Fantom-S88?

Post by Hans »

Hi everyone, I just found out about this site... thanks for your efforts artemio (and others)! I currently own a XV-88 + SRX-02 and use Cakewalk or my hardware MC-80 for sequencing.
In the patch list (found on this site) there seems to be an extra bank (F) in the S88 with only 8 patches. Are these the patches you get when you press the 'piano mode' button (only featured on the Fantom S88)? I read somewhere that a picture of a grand piano will appear on the lcd and you can adjust some parameters such as open/closed but is the sound comparable to - or 'a decent replacement for' - the SRX-02 expansion board for example?
And how are these EP's?
I think I'll visit this site quite often.
Regards,

Hans

+ Preset-F (Fantom-S88 only)

PC PatchName Category
001 ConcertGrand AC.PIANO
002 Hall Concert AC.PIANO
003 Bright Tune AC.PIANO
004 Mellow Tune AC.PIANO
005 Back E-Grand EL.PIANO
006 Rhodes mkI EL.PIANO
007 Stage Rhodes EL.PIANO
008 P-330EnsemEP EL.PIANO
noisemaker

Preset F

Post by noisemaker »

Bank F is indeed for the S88 Piano mode.

I have the SRX-02 board and to my ears the preset Fantom S piano sounds are far better than the SRX's. The parameter adjustment you mention works quite well, and can also be applied to the SRX sounds.

The EP's are just Ok to my tastes.
Noise

http://mp3.com/noisefuljoy
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Preset-F bank on Fantom-S88?

Post by Artemiy »

Absolutely right :)

Artemio
amosaic4u

bank f? not on the s model?

Post by amosaic4u »

Hi..does this mean the fantom-s has a different piano and piani sound then the s-88? that would really stink...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Nope, the wave ROM is identical in both Fantom-S and S88.

It's just that S88 has one more MFX effect with some "natural piano resonance" processing, and 8 more piano patches probably using that effect. That's all the difference.
amosaic4u

piano effect?

Post by amosaic4u »

thank you for the reply...so then the piano IS better sounding on the 88 version i would guess and y would roland leave this off the 61 key model...some may end up syncing the 61 key model with an 88 key controller...that was a stupid decision...
also has anyone compared the pianos on the 61 and 88 key versions? would it be worth another 800.00 or so to get the 88's piano sounds? thanx
noisemaker

Piano Differences

Post by noisemaker »

I found the Pianos to be richer and more responsive with the 88. But...I think thats because of a more realistic responce when "articulating" the playing style on a weighted board.

http://mp3.com/noisefuljoy
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, the factor of a weighted keyboard is the most important thing that makes you play piano sounds more realisticly.

On synth action, playing acoustic piano is crap.

However, electric piano and organ sounds are better played on synth action. This is also true for bass, synths, and especially drums.