My Thoughts on the Fantom-S

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Jonathan

My Thoughts on the Fantom-S

Post by Jonathan »

Well first of all I want to start by saying thanks for posting this site. There's not much on the web for people to find information about this new workstation (untill it comes out in keyboard mag. or Harmony- Central) I place alot of trust on those sources. Second I am an engineer and sound designer in Toronto (No I don't have S.A.R.S). Third I want everyone one to know that before I bought the Fantom-S 61 I put about 6 months of reserch in, and had no bias towards any one company.

I tried out every workstation on the market, and the thing is, is that they all have 1 or 2 things that they do best. You will never find a workstation that excels at everything. So if you are looking for that, give up.

The Fantom-S is a "Workstation" so if you have other means for sequencing and sampling, SAVE YOU MONEY. Workstations are only good if you need one. If you want sounds, get a cheap controller and a shit load of rack mods or soft synths.

Everybody thinks that what they bought is the best because they don't want to look like fools for buying it, so don't take peoples opinions as the word of god. The best thing to do is get your hands on the gear and play it and play it........

Eg..Think of what style of music you play. If your into trance, the Motif won't be the best choice although eveybody is saying that it has the best sounds. (Not for trance)

I think the Fantom-S is great because it is the closest workstation to doing eveything well and is very expandable.

Here is a trick I learned about sample playback synths. Go to the individual patches and turn off all the effects. This is how to separate the men from the boys. (In my opinion)

The Fantom -S has a ton of great sounds for any style and you can easily edit the patches into anything you want anyway. It's build very solid, very easy to use and the the key bed is hi quality. Most of all it looks ##@#** COOL.

The Sample pads on the Fantom-s are a great feature and make realtime playing a breeze.

The Fantom-S is not pefect but I think it's the closest thing to it.

Thanks
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: My Thoughts on the Fantom-S

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks for your review.

Yes, I agree - you only need to buy a synth when you really WANT and NEED it simultaneously.

Even if you buy something that other dislike, but you do well with - keep on making YOUR music and don't listen to anybody.

Again, Fantom-S seems to be a rather complete multi-purpose workstaion, but also includes some features for deep synthesis purposes - like step LFOs.

I also agree that it can sound great without any effects applied.

Artemio
amosaic4u

harmony central review...terrible

Post by amosaic4u »

did anyone see that 1 review on hc? the fella was not happy with it at all...lol
noisemaker

HC review

Post by noisemaker »

I don't think he gave it enough of a chance. If you spend anytime building your own patches and performances I have to believe you'll end up appreciating this synth and it's features.
Noise

http://mp3.com/noisefuljoy
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Noisemaker, can you send me the link to that HC Review?
lameaim

Post by lameaim »

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Da ... 88-01.html

Someone else has hopped on and said pretty much the same things.
amosaic4u

wow

Post by amosaic4u »

how odd....whats the best price anyone has seen on the 61 and 88 key models? on the review it looks like 2099.00 is the lowest on the 88 and from what i have found 1750.00 is the lowest on the 61 key model? any advice where to shop? thanx
jon ratt

where to buy the fantom s88

Post by jon ratt »

where is the best place to buy the
fantom s88? I hear people saying someone got one for 2099 dollars. Is this true and where?

Jon Rattenbury