Possible to switch XR between Perf & Patch with Midi?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
kayvon

Possible to switch XR between Perf & Patch with Midi?

Post by kayvon »

Hi, i'm controlling a Fantom XR with a Kawai MP9500 and i'm wanting to switch between patches and performances with midi. My Kawai sends a Program change and MSB + LSB. Using these I can change between different patches or different performances but what I wanted to do was to switch say from using a patch to then using a performance without having to manually press the mode button.

Anyone know if this is possible with just Program change, MSB + LSB? I have a feeling it isn't but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Thanks in advance,

Peter.
peteruss

midi switch between patch & perform

Post by peteruss »

I have a Roland Juno-G that I want to control from a Kawai MP-4. Same problem. I have to manually change from patch to perform, and then the msb-lsb numbers work. I would have thought that by putting in the msb number it would switch between patch and performance, and the lsb number would select the source bank. Maybe a possibility in a software update?

Kawai is a great keyboard to play, but heavy to carry, and the Juno-G is great fun.
Graeme

Re: Possible to switch XR between Perf & Patch with Midi?

Post by Graeme »

Hi kayvon,

I don't have a Fantom (yet ;-) but I believe these will do what you want:

Perform Mode: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 01 00 00 00 01 7E F7
Patch Mode: F0 41 10 00 6B 12 01 00 00 00 00 7F F7

And some others if you're interested:
GM Mode: F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7
GM2 Mode: F0 7E 7F 09 03 F7
GM Off: F0 7E 7F 09 02 F7

Graeme
ronfya

Post by ronfya »

Same problem here but with a midi foot controller behringer FCB1010. I can't swithc from one patch to one performance directly by pressing only one pedal. First I must switch manually to performance.

So I wonder if it's possible to use Graeme's information in my case to make it work and how ? Or another workaround ... thanks.
Graeme

Post by Graeme »

from my reading of the MIDI spec, only a system exclusive (SysEx) message can switch modes. I don't think the FCB1010 can send customised SysEx messages, but I've read somewhere of a non-Behringe mod that might allow this.
pogzzzz

Post by pogzzzz »

Same problem here. I'm using an oxygen 61, is it possible to change mode from my controller or is there any midi controller that can do this?
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

You could do that with a Roland FC-300 which can send custom SysEx sequences. I just sold mine last week as I've been using my own Fantom X Live Commander software ( http://www.livecommander.com ) to switch sounds for a while now and didn't have any use for the FC-300 any longer.

But why don't you just re-create those Patch mode performances in Performance mode and stay there? That's what I do now,although I'll admit that I do let my software switch the XV-5080 in my rack between performance and patch mode but that's because I'm lazy.
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Maybe this is of interest:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200306/msg0029...
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/
https://secure.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

I haven't seen anything about sending sysex sequences from the FCB yet but it might be there. The only use of sequences I've seen in the links above is to program the FCB from a PC. There is some talk of 'eprom upgrades' on the Yahoo group frontpage so how knows. I'm sure someone from the Yahoo group can answer your question.'
realconcept

Post by realconcept »

If you are still interrested, I did it with my custom controller I built. I can tell you how to do it. Just need to go look at my code to remember what I had done to switch it from Perf to Patch
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

What some people do is use a Behringer FCB1010 to trigger a note value that will not sound (this has to be programmed into the Patch, I believe). That note is used to trigger an RPS phrase which contains the SysEx required to switch between Patch and Performance mode (or GM) followed by the required bank and programme change numbers.

I think I've got that right! Perhaps someone who does this can confirm!

Otherwise, just do everything in Performance mode. It does make life simpler.

Hope this helps
Andy
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Like Andy said, just use Performance mode,

It's much more powerful and will give you options that you can't have in Patch mode