I contacted Pro-Rec. and we would like your help

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
FatBoyJim

Re: I contacted Pro-Rec. and we would like your help

Post by FatBoyJim »

Good question, I am 99% sure that the Pro-Rec. sounds will be made only using the waveforms found in the FS. I do not know for certain though.

You the man, Artemio!
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

You may have noticed but I have not obligated myself in purchasing these Pro-Rec. sounds yet. I am ready to do so and am throwing my hat in the ring. Obviously, just because you post that you are interested in this offer that does not mean that you are obligated to purchase these Pro-Rec. sounds. If I like what I hear or if the word on this forum is very positive then I too will be getting these sounds from Pro-Rec. I have become much better at making my own patches but I am thinking that it will be nice to see what some real pros outside of Roland can do in regards to making patches for the Fantom-S with the original waveforms present in the Fantom-S as I am presuming that the original waveforms is what they will be using. The sounds that I am interested in myself are electronic dance sounds but this is not a request for this type of sounds from Pro-Rec. seeing as these are the sounds that I am having the most luck with making myself currently and they tend to get old rather quickly. I’m not so sure I want more “bread and butter” sounds seeing as I think that the factory preset “bread and butter” sounds are very good but it might be nice to see if they can drastically improve upon what is already there in the FS. One thing I am sure that I don't want anymore of is vintage keyboard sounds seeing as the FS has enough of them in my opinion and the ones that it already has are very good. I guess what I am really looking for is knock-out stellar sounds that make me say "Wow!" whatever they may be.

You the man, Artemio!
MK

Post by MK »

Are those Pro-Rec sounds ready yet? Not that I care a whole lot. Let them take as much time as necessary. As you know, I just ordered the SRX-08. Between that board, sampling CDs, and the factory presets I am already overwhelmed with sounds. I am interested in the Pro-Rec set when they are done. It does not matter to me how long they take to finish the set. I have so many projects in progress here that sometimes I feel that I will need to live a few more times to get all of it done.
Tony Clifton

Post by Tony Clifton »

MK
Since I am not going to buy the Motif Rack just yet.
Do you own or recommend any good CD acoustic guitar samples with strumming?
I could sample my Ovation Celebrity by simply plugging it in to the S88 but I'm not a real great guitar player to put it mildly.
Thanks in Advance,
T. Clifton
:D
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Hey Tony,

Not only are we Fantom Bros, but I'm an Ovation kinda guy myself (and no, I'm not talking applause...Ba-dum-Bum ;) Gotta Legend, to tag along with my Strat. Love 'em both.

About a month ago, I did a quick test of sampling using my Legend and it worked quite well. I did it dry, straight off the pickup, rather than using a room mic. Thought I could always add reverb, etc. later, and it works like a charm (used SRV Plate for making it feel like a room mic setup). I've been too busy playing with the keys and trying to build up my chops there to go back to laying down guitar tracks, but I do hope to do a lot of my own rhythm layers through one or both of my axes as time goes on. I'll tell you, though, some of the Strat patches on the Fantom-S are not that bad for a riff here and there.

Here's a link to one of MK's earlier recommendations on sample CD sources:

http://forum-s.artemio.net/?action=show ... &page=last

MK, all that said, I'd also be interested in any recommendations you might have of specific sample CDs with guitar strums/rhythms that you like. Same for drum loops, particularly jazz/rock/downbeat. Might give me some options (different guitars, for example) and save some time to have a few pre-made samples handy.

Cheers,
RW
MK

Post by MK »

I cannot make that guitar CD recommendation because I do not have any acoustic guitar sample CDs. However, I recommend Sounds Online for sample CDs. Their offerings are high quality. You do not have to worry much about the surprise factor when ordering. I usually buy CDs with an audio preview. Sometimes the CD description does not match the sounds well. http://www.soundsonline.com/

Back in the 70's I used to play guitar. In fact, I seem to recall that Ovation guitars were introduced in the mid-to-late 70's. Or at least that is when they started to become very popular. I owned a few guitars. My favorites were a natural color Strat and a Van Halen model by Charvel. Nowadays you would want the Hummer Les Paul edition http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/20 ... -Paul.html The last time I played a guitar was over 20 years ago. I could still play it without any trouble. When you have played for years you never lose that skill.

In the beginning consider buying a guitar sample CD rather than sampling your own guitar. The samples will be high quality and the selections will give you tracks with sounds you would have never thought about putting together yourself. At some point you should still plug in your guitar just to try it with the Fantom-S sampler.

My sample CD collection is comprised of samples for techno, ambient, vintage, miscellaneous, and some specific synths, such as the Hartmann Neuron, for example. I bought one drum sample CD because it was only $5. I figured for that price I could not go wrong. It might be useful when I care not to spend time creating my own drum track with the pads or arpeggiator.

As you collect more and more CDs eventually you get duplication, either in the form of sound genre or in the form of specific samples--as in the case of vintage instruments. It is unavoidable sooner or later. Use whatever you like and then collect more discs.
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

MK, I have wanted to ask you this for a while now and can’t contain myself any longer. Where or how can I listen to the music that you make?

You the man, Artemio!
MK

Post by MK »

I do not post my music anywhere. My belief is that I should always be paid for it. The exception is that I sometimes perform with a band for free to get exposure. Other times we get paid. I thought about trying to distribute music over the web, but so many people have that idea now that it is probably not worth it.

Previous life experiences influenced me to be very careful with music and never give it away. For example, I am also the author of a small software product for which I receive a monthly royalty check. You would not believe how many times friends and acquaintances have asked for free copies. Since I an under contract I cannot give them anything. I assure you that all it takes is one of them to get hold of an unprotected copy, and it would be distributed worldwide in a matter of hours. I saw that occur in the 80's when I was becoming involved with video game development. It taught me to be extremely cautious.

You might not realize how lucrative the patch market is for new synths. When I was selling my Voyager a few months ago the buyer told me that he had sold over 3,000 copies of something before demand for it dropped to almost nothing. Regretfully, I can no longer remember the details, such as which synth it was for and so on. This is where the real opportunity is today--in music software, not in recording contracts. Music is being commoditized. Now that it is easy to create music it will be nearly impossible for anyone to get signed with a record label. Yet a talented individual could sell thousands of patch sets for a new popular synth. My guess is that as the cost of technology continues to drop one day you will see cheap sampling synths in mass retail stores. And those Wal-Mart customers have billions of dollars.
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Hey MK,

I just checked out that link to the Hummer Les Paul. LOL You've got to be kidding me! Geez...talk about product placement. The Les Paul...okay, sounds good. But I don't think I need to be advertising an environmental disaster like an H2 (my opinion of course...your mileage may vary. :)

Your post, as always, right on all accounts. I also think you're later post is probably right about the direction of the music biz. Lot's of interesting things happenind with web music these days. As with all things, it will evolve or go the way of the dinosaur. Exciting times!

Cheers,
RW
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

MK, I understand what you are saying and I appreciate you letting me know!

You the man, Artemio!
Tony Clifton

Post by Tony Clifton »

Hey, thanks RW & MK...... I thought I had read either you or MK mentioning sampling your guitar earlier on the board!
Great info I'll try it out.
Geez we don't need NO STINKING OFFICIAL ROLAND HELP here LOL!
Actually I'd love to have a guest Rep here but I'm a realist :D
I have had too many ideas ripped off by sending out demos myself,MK.
Thanks again gentlemen,
Tony
GOOD IDEAS LEAD TO PRISON!
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

I sent an e-mail to Pro-Rec on Tuesday and here is there reply e-mail, which includes my original e-mail with my questions:

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:13:53 –0700

Hey James, thanks to you and everyone else who is interested for your support. We haven't gotten very far on the sounds yet so it's hard to answer too much, but the more interest you can garner the more successful the whole project will be for everyone. I will try to answer your Q's below... feel free to ask any others, and sorry for my slow response.

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 05:39 PM, admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com wrote:

1. When will the sounds be done? I don’t think anyone is trying to rush you all and I do remember that you told me before that the sounds would be done around the end of October (my mistake, this should have said July not October) but I was asked this question and thought that it would probably be best that I find out from you where you are at with these sounds. If you need more time than expected, that is not a problem but please let me know so I am not stuck in the middle of this whole thing with people saying to me that I said yea such date and so on.

I would think by the end of this month, almost 200% sure by the end of next month, for sure.

2. Will your sounds be built using the sample waveforms found in the ROM of the Fantom-S or will these sounds be built using additional waveforms than what are found in the Fantom-S ROM?

They will be all new patches based around the internal samples. So, yes, #1. I doubt we'll be adding waveforms. We usually do four standard banks - Dance, Tech, Film/Ambient, and New Age. If anyone wants any other types of sounds, they should definitely email us at sounds@pro-rec.com We definitely listen, but don't specialize in certain acoustic sounds so we don't do much of them. We are amazing at synths, basses, pads, film & ambient, etc.

3. Someone from Pro-Rec. talked to forum member Jonathan on the same day that I last had communication from you in the form of your E-mail to me. Jonathan put up a post stating that Pro-Rec. was going to let the Fantom-S web site have free downloadable patches that were made from you all as examples of these sounds. Do you all still intend to do this?

If you are asking can we provide a few free patches as samples of the finished product? Definitely. We will know more about what we can do for you guys further down the line. Maybe we can just make a gift, giveaway mini-set, who knows. (Just to be friendly! :) )

4. How many people would you all like to see express interest in buying you sounds so that you feel comfortable giving the forum members a discount? I think currently we are up to 5 or 10 members expressing interest in this offer. I am guessing that as time nears when you all are expected to complete the sounds that more interest in this offer will be expressed.

Well 10 would be great. More than that would be excellent. We're not talking about a huge discount, but every little bit counts, as we all know!

Thanks again,
Jonathan
www.pro-rec.com

You the man, Artemio!
Red Winger

Post by Red Winger »

Sound great, FBJ. Thanks again for running with this. The sound banks they're talking look to be perfect for me.

Cheers,
RW
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

When I heard what the 4 different disks were going to be I also thought that this would work very well for me. From some of the other posts Artemio has made it sounds like he is pretty good at making Acoustic sounding instruments so maybe between Pro-Rec, Artemio, and the rest of the gang here we may be able to get a whole new patch set for the Fantom-S for rather cheep and hopefully in the very near future.

You the man, Artemio!