Fantom-X Tips and Tricks

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Andy Keys

Fantom G online seminars

Post by Andy Keys »

Those interested in some further inspiration for using their Fantom-X could do worse than check out Roland's on-line Fantom-G seminars here.

There are one or two things that the Fantom-X isn't capable of (Part FX et al), but the vast majority of the ideas presented are workable on the Fantom-X with a little thought.

Andy
MySpace: Andy Keys and Firegarden.
tartracks

fantom doing mpc tricks

Post by tartracks »

I was using a mpc 2000xl before the fantom,so i was use to certain params. that the fantom doesn't have: The mpc never records the same drum note on top of each other.so when creating drum kits in patch edit on the fantom,go to "general" "assign type" & turn each key to "single" so when you do your high hat rolls or whatever they wont double. Also the mpc has a note variation slider for changing note pitch.Some people use them for snare or kick changes,in rap music.Well in the fantom set it up in the system,midi params.to record sysex,then in the patch edit menu go to "wmt" while recording change the "course tune"field,on the kick or snare that you want affected.& you got your note variation. The mpc has "pad banks"for the drum hits,the fantom-x does not.So what i do is use a program called "mpc editor"it's a program for making mpc drum programs in windows.It has a gui that looks like the 16 pads on the fantom.I assign drums from my sample library on the pads in the program like i want them set up in the fantom.I make 16 pad assignments then use the "export in 2000xl format" function.I name it pad bank what ever,& put it on my sd card that goes in the fantom.I create maybe 6 kits like this saving them to seperate folders.16 samples in each.1 for each pad.import 1 folder in the fantom..Make an empty card rhythm patch,go to "pad settings""quick setup" change the template settings to "note"then in the "base note" field change to "A 0"assign your notes to the pads.Move the "base note"up 16 notes.Import another folder do it again.repeat for all pad banks.If you normalize the samples using overwrite function or mark set for each assigned sample you used,you wont use the same sample twice.When your recording & you wanna use pad diffrent banks use the quick setup & base note function 16 notes at atime to use your "banks" it seems like a long process but it's not,once you get the hang of it.
bassman

How to Use Patterns to Construct a Song

Post by bassman »

The Patterns used to construct a Song are useful for folks who like to write using a pattern-based sequencing style. In other words, writing the different sections of a song one at a time and then having them play in any order that you wish. The most common is the Intro-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Verse-Chorus form, or some iteration of that form. On the Fantom, using Pattern mode, you can do this. This allows you to write a verse and have it play 2 or 3 times within the tune without having to record it 3 times. You would simply insert a Pattern Call message in a track and that message will 'tell' the particular Pattern (in this case the Verse) to play at that point in your song. You can mix and match verses, intros, etc. as you wish without re-recording.

Quick outline of Pattern mode recording. . . . .

Two ways to create a Pattern:
1.) Record from scratch
2.) Copy tracks from a Sequence into a Pattern

I'll sketch out the basics and you can experiment. The manual doesn't give up a lot of info on this, otherwise I would reference you to that. . . . . . . .

From scratch:
1.) Performance / Mixer mode

2.) Press Song Edit button

3.) Press F2 (Ptn) All 100 Patterns are listed. Choose Ptn001 for now.

4.) Press F6 (Track View). You now see all of the tracks (I like to call them Parts) listed for the Pattern. The selected Patch names are shown also.

5.) Cursor up or down to the Track you wish, press 'Enter' to bring up the Patch List to change the Patch if desired.

6.) With the Track you want to record on selected, press 'Record' and play away. Select other Tracks/Patches using the method described and record.

7.) Notice the F5 button that is available in Pattern Mode. This allows you to set your Time Signature. Reference page 169 in the manual. Also, it saves time later if you name the Pattern using the F4 key.

8.) As a note, you can use the Track edit function after recording a Track to trim it to the proper length (4 bars, 8 bars, etc.). I mention this because most of the time Record mode is still enabled a little past the end of the last bar you are recording because it takes time to hit 'Stop'.

You can record an Intro, then hit F6 (Close) to get out of Track View and back to the list of Patterns. Cursor down and select another Pattern, follow the procedure above, and record your Verse or whatever.

To link these Patterns into a Song, reference the manual, page 176. Follow the procedure outlined there step by step and it should work for you. The important thing or concept to remember is that you are creating a Song. Therefore you want to make sure you are in Song Mode. This is done by pressing F1 or pressing the F2 to get out of Pattern Mode. You will be recording your Pattern Call messages to a Track in the Song. Select any Track that you wish, then do what it says on page 176. If there are questions, please ask.

You can also take a Song and copy Tracks or selected measures from Tracks into a Pattern. To do so, simply use the Track Edit fuction, select 'Copy', choose the parameters you want and then select a Pattern to copy to. Reference page 184 in the manual.

What all of this means is that you can record your own Patterns using any Rhythm that you wish or create, and insert this into a Song. This is what fixthemix was talking about. The possibilities are endless as to what you can do in terms of combining different styles and the like.
Andy Keys

Re: Fantom-X Tips and Tricks

Post by Andy Keys »

When you're playing a gig and you scour the venue walls for out of date posters to replace with ones advertising your band, the recesses at the ends of the Fantom X make a great place to store the blu-tac from posters. And it keeps it clean :o)

Andy
bassman

Copying One Track to Another

Post by bassman »

This question comes up often so I am adding this to the thread. . . . . . .

How to copy one Track to another:
(disregard the 'Song Clear' step if working on an existing Song.)

Perform the following:

1. After powering up completely, press 'Song Edit'. 16 tracks and the Tempo/Beat track are displayed.

2. Press F4, select Song Clear, press 'Select' to execute. This assures that we have a clean slate.

3. Cursor up to Track 1. Record anything you wish on this Track. This is for our test copy.

4. Press F7 'Track Edit'.

5. Select 'Copy'. Press 'Select'. Enter these parameters:

Src Track/Pattern: TRK 1
Ch/Part: Ch 1(Patch Name is displayed)
Src Measure: 0001 for ALL
Dst Track/Pattern: TRK 2
Dst Measure: 0001
Copy Mode: REPLACE
Copy Times: 1

Press 'Exec'. Press 'Exec' again.

Now we will do the second part of the process, which is changing the Midi channel.

Perform the following:

1. While still in the 'Song Edit' screen, press F7 'Track Edit'

2. Select 'Change Channel'. Press 'Select'. Enter these parameters:
Track/Pattern: TRK 2
Measure: 0001 for ALL
Src/Ch/Part: Ch 1(patch name is displayed)
Dst Ch/Part: Ch 2 (patch name is displayed)

Press 'Exec'. Press 'Exec' again.

The Copy is now complete. To really verify this, let's select 2 totally different instruments to play the tracks.

Press 'Mixer', then F2, 'Part View'. Then F1 'Level/Pan'
Cursor over to the Patch names for Track 1 and hit enter. Select the desired patch form the list. It is now displayed in the 'Part View' screen. Do the same for Track 2.

Press play and you should here what you recorded played by 2 different patches on the two tracks.
juergen_

two more cubase patch scripts

Post by juergen_ »

And here are the patch scripts for

SRX-11 Complete Piano
SRX-97 Jon Lord's Rock Organ

Import it as MIDI Device and have fun :-)

Jürgen
juergen_

and the cubase patch scripts for srx06/09

Post by juergen_ »

Hi folks,

in addition to my previous posts here the patch scripts for SRX-06 and SRX-09.

1. Open Cubase
2. Open the MIDI Device Manager
3. Click Import Setup and select SRX-06.xml/SRX-09.xml
4. Assign the appropriate MIDI port to your Fantom or other SRX-Host
5. your SRX-06 / SRX-09 is now ready to by directly addressed by Cubase.

Have fun
Jürgen
TRANCEHAK

Post by TRANCEHAK »

SIDECHAIN COMPRESSION TRICK

For anyone wanting to make dance, side chain compression has become an invaluable feature of any track to get that pump between kicks.

I found the best way to get this is using the 'duck' fx.
A kick needs to play for the duck to work properly.
The kick does not have to be send through the duck.

Say you want the strings to pump. You send them through the MFX Duck. Mess about with the Duck settings until you get the desired pump.
daddio57

Fantom X8 Aftertouch Mod Tutorial

Post by daddio57 »

2/21/09

Fantom X8 Aftertouch Attitude Adjustment

0. Buy a package kit of self-stick velcro (Fig 1), 1/2" wide by 5 foot length from your local hardware or craft store for $5.99 (we will only be using the self-adhesive felt part, and not the hook part). Cut the 1/2" felt strip lengthwise in half (or buy 1/4" wide stuff if you can find it).
1. Unplug all cables and power, and flip unit over (2) and remove 20 PAN WASHER HEAD TAPTITE B screws and 2 PAN HEAD screws (one from the notch on the left end in the front casing panel, the other in the wood near the front on the right end of the keybed). No need to remove any screws from the aluminum end caps.
2. Flip the unit back over and carefully lift the whole top panel assembly up at the front. Note the ribbon cables connecting the top panel to the keyboard action, and mark them with an orientation mark before removing (3).
3. Set the top aside (4), and work on the keybed assembly (5). The aftertouch pressure strip is on top of the middle rail (6, 7, 8); the front rail is simply a key-stop rail. Compare this to a Kurzweil 2600XS keybed (7a), where the aftertouch pressure strip is acually located at the front of the keys, which is probably why the kurz aftertouch is more responsive. You can check the response of the aftertouch strip by connecting an ohm-meter to pins 1 and 2 (pins 1 and 3 are the same) and pressing on any key (9, 10).
4. Caution! Damage could occur to the keys in this step if you are not careful! If you are unsure at this point, re-assemble the keyboard, or contact Roland technical support for more detailed instructions about removing and installing keys. Start by releasing the keys from their hinge-points at the rear of the keybed (I used a flat file with a handle (11) that was just the right angle to spread the 2 edges of the key enough to release the key when gently pulled up at the back of the key; you could also make your own tool from a piece of wood).
5. Remove 1 octave of keys or so at a time (12) and set them on a flat surface, keeping them in order (13). Once they're all removed (15), you have access to the pressure strip that controls aftertouch (16).
6. Take the velcro felt strip (17) and peel the backing off at one end, press it onto the existing felt (18, 18a). Trim any excess off at the other end (19).
7. Check the key-dip with a dip block, especially if you use a thicker material (20).
8. Now begin the re-assembly: place the front of the keys over the guide (21), the hooks under the pressure rail (6, 7), and carefully snap the rear of each key back onto the hinge at the rear (22, 23).
9. Check the action of every key to ensure that it is working correctly, and check the function of the aftertouch pressure strip - it should take much less pressure on the keys to see the resistance change (8, 9).
10. Place the top panel back on, reconnect the ribbon cables (3), and screw in several of the pan washer srews to hold the top on before flipping the unit over to finish replacing the remaining screws (2).
11. Done (24). Enjoy!
Snoozr

Post by Snoozr »

This is more in the tricks category but I only stumbled on these by accident after years of using the Fantom X. I'm sure they are in the manual but I haven't memorized the whole thing yet :)

* If you are in the sequencer and want to "fast forward" to get to the middle of the song quickly, press and hold the FWD key and then once it starts moving press and hold BWD. It will zoom off to the right. Same idea can be applied to "fast backward" with button order reversed.

* If you are writing out a sample to the card or user memory and naming it, you can change from uppercase to lowercase quickly by pushing the down arrow cursor button. This saves you from pressing the button 26 times or holding down on it for a few seconds.
wudsiba

Free program for importing samples

Post by wudsiba »

I have no idea how I never came across this in the many years I have searched this forum. If you have not seen this program, do yourself a favor and check it out. I hate computers, for the most part, but this is really easy to use. If you have a CF card reader/writer, this will allow you to import samples directly to the card... Very easy to use.

Here's a link:
http://medlem.spray.se/fantom/

Here's a newer one by my man Luc. It holds original sample key and loop points I believe:
http://lucienk.spaces.live.com/blog/cns ... 1290.entry
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

SL Productions and dbijoux have some additional tips here
wudsiba

Post by wudsiba »

SVQ files that contain all of the Roland XV patches

This is a project of 16 different SVQ files that you can drop onto your Fantom CF card and load as songs. This is a great way to audition all of the XV patches (there are over 1000) and save the ones that you want as hastle free as possible. Read the link carefully to understand how it is set up, and you are in business. All thanks goes to Lazeeboy for the clever way this done. Truly great work.

XV-5080
SL Productions

Post by SL Productions »

Thanks, not sure how I missed this ;)
SL Productions

Post by SL Productions »

Getting to the end of the sample list faster.

-This helps especially if you have a lot of samples and need to get to the end of the list quickly without scrolling through the whole list.

Hit the Skip Back Sampling button and delete the sample if you want. This will put you at the end of the list.